ACN Latitudes Forums

HIGH coxsackie A & B IgG and IgM

I have read all of the threads on coxsackie I can find, but am still confused. Can anyone comment on this please?

Three of my kids just tested High for all coxsackie B titers and most coxsackie A.

Coxsackie B 1:256 HIGH (normal is <1:8)

Coxackie A IgG all were 1:1600 (normal is <1:100)

Daughter was IgM negative for coxsackie A, yet two sons are both IgM positive.

I have a phone consult with Dr T this morning. Are these viral loads high or very high? None of my kids have ever had any of the typical coxsackie symptoms.

TIA.

Colleen

I have read all of the threads on coxsackie I can find, but am still confused. Can anyone comment on this please?

Three of my kids just tested High for all coxsackie B titers and most coxsackie A.

I have a phone consult with Dr T this morning. Are these viral loads high or very high? None of my kids have ever had any of the typical coxsackie symptoms.

TIA.

Colleen

I'm curious to hear what Dr. T. had to say. All I can really add is that my son didn't have typical coxsackie symptoms either I suppose. He seemed to have a minor cold, then the PANDAS symptoms showed up. When he was negative for strep and ear infections, we ran blood tests and found the coxsackie. He's 8 weeks in right now and still recovering. The acyclovir helped, but it took the full 20 days to bring most of his symptoms down.

TIA.

Colleen

I'm curious to hear what Dr. T. had to say. All I can really add is that my son didn't have typical coxsackie symptoms either I suppose. He seemed to have a minor cold, then the PANDAS symptoms showed up. When he was negative for strep and ear infections, we ran blood tests and found the coxsackie. He's 8 weeks in right now and still recovering. The acyclovir helped, but it took the full 20 days to bring most of his symptoms down.

Dr. T posted a paper regarding this very subject on his facebook page: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/m/pubmed/18608177/

• 5 months later...

Hi,

I am speaking to Dr. T on Thursday.

My son had high coxsackie titires but never any of the symptoms. We found it in the bloodwork.

He was put on 2 rounds of Acyclovir (20 days) which we just finished yesterday.

The Acyclovir helped some of his tics but not completely.

How are you treating the coxsackie?

My dd had Coxsackie the week after her symptoms went through the roof last summer (mouth sores only. No other symptoms). Tested a couple of months later, her numbers were high for four strains of type A Coxsackie ranging from 1:800 to 1:1600. (strep ##s were high as well, but not super high) She was never treated with any antivirals during the bout with Coxsackie or after and the visible coxsackie symptoms disappeared on their own in a few days. Antibiotics (to some degree) then IVIG ultimately got her back. I don't believe that her coxsackie numbers were tested again until after the IVIG (at which point they were negative) so I can't be sure if her antibodies were still in fighting mode on the coxsackie front up until then.

Yes I tested positive for all strains of A and B. This is actually seen quite often in CFS (chronic fatigue syndrome) so I wanted to mention there's a CFS doctor: Dr. Chia that knows a lot about enteroviruses is you're interested in learning more. Again, name is Dr. Chia and he created his own herbal medication to treat it (equilibrant).

I tried Valtrex, did not help. Has ivig helped anyone with this?

• 2 months later...

I started this thread in December when I got my children's coxsackie titers back. We just did a lot of bloodwork thru Dr T, including coxsackie A and B titers because my 10 year old PANS child is suddenly having severe anxiety related to school. He happily has gone to school since preschool and attended the first two weks of fifth grade as normal until all of a sudden he developed severe anxiety related to school. It began while he was sick with a bad cold and cough (I was suspicious of mycoplasma pneumo but labs were negative on that). He also may have had a GI virus that was going around school, but none the less physically sick for a week. Now he is terrified of school. I have eliminated anything that could be causing school anxiety (bullying, friends, work too hard). He is popular, very well liked, and a good student.

Coxsackie A and B results just returned and most of the titers are higher than when I posted the results (Top of this thread) in December 2012.

In Dec 2012 his Coxsackie A IgG titers were 1:1,600 (neg is <1:100) and they remain at 1:1600.

However, his Coxsackie A IgM in December were 1:10 and 1:20 which is elevated (neg<1:10), BUT now the IgM titers have increased to 1:40. I have scoured the Internet for days trying to make sense of what is going on (without any luck) and have a Thurs. phone consult with Dr T, but wondering for any advice here.

His ADB (anti-dNase B strep tietr) is 169 (normal is 170 and below), but I think this is significant because in Dec 2012 it was only 75, so it has more than doubled. He is curently on Biaxin and Augmentin and hoping to be put on an anti-viral soon.

Does the four fold increase in Coxsackie A IgM mean active infection right now? He stilll complains of a sore throat, intermittent abdominal pain, and intermittent muscle pain- not severe but present. Another concerning symptom I have noticed is when he falls asleep his arms and legs jerk around a lot. This happens sometimes when my kids are super tired and they first fall asleep but this seems like more than that. He got in bed with me early this morning and fell back asleep. For an entire hour, almost every few seconds his body would twitch, arms and legs jerk, and it almost felt lke his muscles were twitching. When he is awke he is not having any tics at all (has had mild tics in the past with a flare up).

Thank you in advance for any insight.

Colleen