ACN Latitudes Forums

Yeast

Megs_Mom

Hi all - I was googling "yeast, memory loss" last night for a friend, and ran across this "self test" on a couple of sites. I did it for myself this am, and all dissipated. Then I ran it for dd (who does not know how to spit <_< , so it was not first in am, it was about an hour after she woke up. Her's was stringy and ran down the water. We'll do again tomorrow). So my question is - is this test accurate? Or can it mean other things? Also would a bunch of you moms (I love our personal focus group here) run this test tomorrow am on yourself, and on your kids? I'd love to hear the results. I would tell you that we have no "signs" of yeast at the moment in our dd - she seems fine, I really just tested her for our friends comparison. However, she is on long term abx, so I should likely be ensuring that we clear this, just so it does not add to our issues in the future. Here is the test that I found on-line:

The very first thing when you wake up in the morning, roll over before getting out of bed and spit twice into a glass of water. Now over the course of the next 15 minutes watch the glass of water. If your spit just kind of dissolves and dissipates in the water, you do not have a yeast infection...

If, on the other hand, it becomes cloudy, has little fingers and strings, sinks to the bottom, or does anything else other than dissipating in the water, you may have a candida yeast infection. Strings and spider webs are a very positive indication for yeast. If you have what appears to be sediment in the bottom of the glass, you more than likely have parasites, also, which many fungal disease sufferers do have. The very first thing when you wake up in the morning, roll over before getting out of bed and spit twice into a glass of water. Now over the course of the next 15 minutes watch the glass of water. If your spit just kind of dissolves and dissipates in the water, you do not have a yeast infection...

If, on the other hand, it becomes cloudy, has little fingers and strings, sinks to the bottom, or does anything else other than dissipating in the water, you may have a candida yeast infection. Strings and spider webs are a very positive indication for yeast. If you have what appears to be sediment in the bottom of the glass, you more than likely have parasites, also, which many fungal disease sufferers do have.

Will try it tomorrow with both me and my dd8. As I've read more about symptoms of yeast in kids - the giddy, silly, drunken like behavior is making me wonder (about my dd8, not me - I have other symptoms, the details of which would be TMI for posting ;)...).

But like another parent said, I'll take that giddiness any day over the rages!

I had my first appt with Dr. Latimer yesterday. When asked about yeast, she said that most PANDAS children are strangely resistant to yeast infections. She's never had to treat a yeast infection in a PANDAS patient. I mentioned oil of oregano for yeast infections to her and she hadn't heard of this treatment... so the incidence must be much lower for some reason.

Ahhh !! I did this test this morning and we definitely got the cloudy water followed by the "stringy things" floating on top. He has been having awful vocal tics with increasing motor tic. maybe I have found the cause (Eureka I am about to do a jig on my computer desk !) What do I do now ??? School is closed to day due to local flooding but I will brave the water to go to the Natural Foods store if someone will tell me what to get.

He has no other symptoms...no silliness or "like drunk" behavior, no diarhea, no thrush. Just went to doctor on Tuesday. She didn't see any signs of anything.

Ahhh !! I did this test this morning and we definitely got the cloudy water followed by the "stringy things" floating on top. He has been having awful vocal tics with increasing motor tic. maybe I have found the cause (Eureka I am about to do a jig on my computer desk !) What do I do now ??? School is closed to day due to local flooding but I will brave the water to go to the Natural Foods store if someone will tell me what to get.

He has no other symptoms...no silliness or "like drunk" behavior, no diarhea, no thrush. Just went to doctor on Tuesday. She didn't see any signs of anything.

I should say that I have been giving him a probiotic for a while. I have some oil of pregano in the cupboard. But I haven't used it in a year. is it still good ?

Hi all - I was googling "yeast, memory loss" last night for a friend, and ran across this "self test" on a couple of sites. I did it for myself this am, and all dissipated. Then I ran it for dd (who does not know how to spit <_< , so it was not first in am, it was about an hour after she woke up. Her's was stringy and ran down the water. We'll do again tomorrow). So my question is - is this test accurate? Or can it mean other things? Also would a bunch of you moms (I love our personal focus group here) run this test tomorrow am on yourself, and on your kids? I'd love to hear the results. I would tell you that we have no "signs" of yeast at the moment in our dd - she seems fine, I really just tested her for our friends comparison. However, she is on long term abx, so I should likely be ensuring that we clear this, just so it does not add to our issues in the future. Here is the test that I found on-line:

The very first thing when you wake up in the morning, roll over before getting out of bed and spit twice into a glass of water. Now over the course of the next 15 minutes watch the glass of water. If your spit just kind of dissolves and dissipates in the water, you do not have a yeast infection...

If, on the other hand, it becomes cloudy, has little fingers and strings, sinks to the bottom, or does anything else other than dissipating in the water, you may have a candida yeast infection. Strings and spider webs are a very positive indication for yeast. If you have what appears to be sediment in the bottom of the glass, you more than likely have parasites, also, which many fungal disease sufferers do have. The very first thing when you wake up in the morning, roll over before getting out of bed and spit twice into a glass of water. Now over the course of the next 15 minutes watch the glass of water. If your spit just kind of dissolves and dissipates in the water, you do not have a yeast infection...

If, on the other hand, it becomes cloudy, has little fingers and strings, sinks to the bottom, or does anything else other than dissipating in the water, you may have a candida yeast infection. Strings and spider webs are a very positive indication for yeast. If you have what appears to be sediment in the bottom of the glass, you more than likely have parasites, also, which many fungal disease sufferers do have.

Thanks for posting this...

i've been checking dh and ds for 4-5 years and they consistantly show yeast..myself and other child-no

so i wonder if there is always a yeast issue...more so for dh than ds...if that makes you more suspettible to other ailments/allergies....as something is out of wack....

the main reason i thank you is ...the part about parasites...i did not know this....

i think the spit test he did a month ago had the bottom dwellers?????

will have to re-check

I should say that I have been giving him a probiotic for a while. I have some oil of pregano in the cupboard. But I haven't used it in a year. is it still good ?

We need Stephanie2 to weigh in - she knows all the remedies! Did you do it before getting up or eating? We could not do this am, and yesterdays does not count yet, as she had eaten already, so that messes up the test. Hope this is your answer - sorry that I have not gotten to the remedy phase yet - I was hoping for answers on this thread (I'm lazy this week!!!).

I have been asked about this a lot lately, I am going to cut and paste my response here:

Anyway, you may want to join some autism message boards on yahoo, specifically ones where the moms do the DAN protocol, or similar treatments. I have learned so much about treating yeast, bacteria, etc. Here are a few groups I recommend: MB12Valtrex, ABMD, beyondgfcf.

Here is what many ppl do to control yeast. They rotate 3 antifungal products on a 4 day rotation and then start over again. So each product is used for 4 days then switched to the next product and so forth. Here are some products that ppl use and the brands I recommend (if I have used it):

Oil of Oregano (Oreganol)

Olive Leaf Extract (New Beginnings, Thorne, Solaray - make sure it is standardized to 20%)

Advanced Biocidin (herbal blend you get online)

Caprylic Acid

Pau D'arco (Gaia, Brainchild nutritionals)

Oregon Grape Root (Thorne)

Grapefruit Seed Extract (not grapeSEED extract; Nutribiotic)

In trying to decide which ones to use, you also may want to take into consideration what else you may want to fight. For example, Dr. R says that many of these kids (on this forum) are suffering from clostridia due to all the ghigh dose abx and that the clostridia looks very much like pandas and therefore everyone thinks that they can't get rid of strep, while really the strep is gone but now the kids have clostridia which you can't really get rid of without a specific abx such as vancomycin or flagyl (or some of the above herbs).

Also, you may want your antifungal to give your kid an extra boost in terms of strep (in case they come up against an azith resistant strain, etc... So if you also want to target clostridia or strep (both bacteria) you would want to use herbs that also have antibacterial properties. Those would be all of the above, EXCEPT caprylic acid, pau d'arco and oregon grape root.

So here is what I am going to be doing. Since I am using OLE for strep and clostridia prevention, I have bacteria covered. So I am going to be using the following for yeast: pau d'arco, oregon grape and ???? haven't decided on the third yet. OLE actually treats yeast but if used long term the yeast will adapt to it and then OLE will actually CREATE yeast. So if used only in a rotation, you are good, but if used all the time you have to use others to control yeast.

As far as dosages, it is so hard and individual! It's not an exact science...I use a combination of other's experience, the label (cut the adult dose in half) and my own mother's instinct. Why don't you decide which ones you want to use and then I can give you some guidance on the dose, otherwise I could write a book on dosage of the above herbs!! Plus, some are less tolerable etc. I will say this, I purposely exclude caprylic acid (which stinks b/c it is the best one on the list) b/c the taste is so unbelievably bad that I just can't get either kid to swallow it, which is very rare.

Oh, you should know that grapefruit seed extract is VERY potent for yeast, however, it can elevate liver enzymes (you may have heard that grapefruit juice can interfere with various meds, etc...). My 2yo had very mildly elevated LFT after using GSE, so now I use milk thistle to help the liver and I limit the use of GSE (and I have the LFT's redone every few months). His LFT's came back down to the normal range.

Here is where I buy most of this stuff: www.ourkidsasd.com and www.iherb.com (free shipping for both above $40 orders - at the first website you have to enter: free at checkout, and at iherb you can enter my personal email address for a $5 discount: stephanieweeks@ymail.com).

Hope this helps!!