ACN Latitudes Forums

Great first appt with Dr. B!

laure

1. 1. What would cause intense leg pain?

• withdrawal from augmentin?
    • the addition of prednisone or azithromax?

Awesome 1st appt with Dr. B! I loved him, he didn't make us feel like the loonies we are since PANDAS took over our lives in July. Sophie's titre #s were all up, ASO, etc. despite my self-treating her with abx (online stuff) but he approved of my actions (!) which made me feel like an ok mom. "Any loving parent would do the same." She has 0 antibodies to strep, a no-brainer for him to treat as PANDAS. So now switched to azithromax, 15 days of Predinisone, and tonight had unbelievable leg pain, couldn't go to sleep, crying hysterically and walking around stiff-legged. Is this a withdrawal from the augmentin? Or from all the advil we were giving her? Finally gave her 3 advil and 1/4 melatonin and she fell asleep, 11:45PM... This is a new thing, hopefully not lasting... any ideas?

Awesome 1st appt with Dr. B! I loved him, he didn't make us feel like the loonies we are since PANDAS took over our lives in July. Sophie's titre #s were all up, ASO, etc. despite my self-treating her with abx (online stuff) but he approved of my actions (!) which made me feel like an ok mom. "Any loving parent would do the same." She has 0 antibodies to strep, a no-brainer for him to treat as PANDAS. So now switched to azithromax, 15 days of Predinisone, and tonight had unbelievable leg pain, couldn't go to sleep, crying hysterically and walking around stiff-legged. Is this a withdrawal from the augmentin? Or from all the advil we were giving her? Finally gave her 3 advil and 1/4 melatonin and she fell asleep, 11:45PM... This is a new thing, hopefully not lasting... any ideas?

Hmmm. I don't know the answer. Have you already started the pred? But my thoughts are to wait on the prednisone (esp. since you just gave 3 advil, you're not really supposed to give both nsaids and steroids...too hard on the tummy).

But, by waiting on the pred, at least you are eliminating 1 variable.

IMO, the leg pain could be from:

1) Azith. (although unlikely, I haven't really heard of this)

2) stopping Augmentin

3) pred (pred does cause weird symptoms, not sure if this is one)

4) something else PANDAS related

5) something non-PANDAS related. A friend's dd has really bad leg pains every 4-8 mo. or so....they were told it was "growing pains". Kind of freaky, since it happened the night she slept over at our house at 2 am.

Hi - i doubt this is what it is, as you also get other symptoms (certainly did in our experience) but serum sickness-like reaction can cause joint pain. It's a reaction to abx or other drug, in our case Augmentin.

Unlike a normal allergic reaction that happens towards the start of treatment, it can take a few days/weeks or even start after the drug has been stopped. It is not a Type 1 allergy (anaphalaxis) but a type III hypersensitivity and is usually accompanied by hives/rash and swelling. The joint pain can get really bad....

Like I say, I doubt it if you're not seeing other symptoms of rash etc but just thought I'd throw it our there.....

Well I was giving her lots of advil, 1200 mg. a day, (400 3 x day) and I stopped because I thought the azithromax and predisone would cover the swelling... and also augmentin, 1500 mg., so possibly withdrawal? But I am going with the cramping theory from the prednisone, because it did come and go until she fell asleep. OK in the AM though.

DS5 gets leg cramps from the following:

magnesium deficiency

strep

too much 5HTP

I think fixit said that augmentin caused leg pain when her son developed yeast while on it. Is that a possibility? Maybe she will post...

Leg pain can be caused by tick borne illnesses too. It is worth checking out especially if there is any chance it is worsening with prednisone which is contraindicated with tick borne infections. Steroids suppress the immune system which makes infections worse and can cause more symptoms. Just another possibility to consider.