ACN Latitudes Forums

Breathing compulsions?

I felt a little under the weather about two week ago & never went to the pediatrician (surprise, surprise), so I've been keeping my eye out for new/worsened symptoms just in case. So far, only one.

This really, really weird breathing thing. I randomly take a deep breath, & have to suck it in before it passes the bump. Not a literal bump in my throat or anything.. but just. There's this thing that I can feel where the feeling of the air changes. I have no idea what I'm trying to say, but I hope someone gets it. :/

Anyway. If I do't make it over that "bump', if my breath falls before I get there, I have to do it over again until I do. Which doesn't sound THAT bad until I'm sitting there gasping & taking ridiculously long, deep breaths for no apparent reason. I look like a fish out of water. I've never seen/dealt with any OCD issues having to do with breathing. Anyone have some light to shed or experiences to share?? Thanks. <3

Hi Emerson. All compulsions are"normal". They can take any form. I know you have struggled to find care on the medical side of things. I hope you find help on that front soon. Do you think your parents would support your doing an ERP program, so you can help yourself find more control during exacerbations? You are such a smart brave and self aware young woman, that I bet you would be able to excel. Have you read any of the books? You could probably learn a lot yourself, but it would be easier with a good therapist. Let me know if you want a reco in your general area.

Both of my PANDAS sons have had this compulsion. They take in a deep breath and hold it. My younger son during his PANDAS episode said it felt like breathing wasn't involuntary anymore. Like he had to think about it. This was during his spitting out his food for fear of choking episode. It was cured with antibiotics and steroids. My other son was more severe. He needed ivig. After treatment, the breathing compulsion stopped. Are you on an antibiotic? Have you tried a month of tapered steroids? Have you seen a PANDAS doctor?

Emerson,

My son does something similar - our team told us it was a breathing tic. It comes and goes, and is particularly noticable when he's having a lot of anxiety over something, or when he's sick.

Not sure this helps - but at least you know you're not alone!

Emerson-I'm so sorry you are experiencing yet another symptom but assured by the posts above that this is a symptom experienced by so many others. I think the very fact that you can identify your symptoms, explain them and express your concerns about them to this forum is a major step towards successfully overcoming this. You are so self aware and show such strength!

Don't have the time to reply to all posts. :/

No, no antibiotics & DEFINITELY no steroids. We're pretty suspicious of Lyme right now so steroids are a huge no-no. No doctor at all. Thank you, north Texas. -___-

It's not really a feeling of not getting enough air, it's just.. A feeling like I need MORE air, for no apparent reason. Not dismissing Babesia though. Already tested positive for MycoP. No treatment for that, either. Doctor washed his hands of me when I tested positive for Lyme.

I've got about 100 pages left of Cure Unknown, & then Saving Sammy is next.

Thank you all! Tic, compulsion, who knows. & trust me.. I'm not stressing over this. Adding "breathing compulsions" to my list wouldn't faze me.

All of the tic/compulsion talk reminds me of once when I showed a doctor the tics in my toes.. He went "Well, Emerson, that looks like a habit." Oh, it's that simple? Well THANK YOU, miracle worker. I'll just make myself stop doing it then. Not like that's the entire reason I was seeing you or anything. Aaagghhh stressful week. :/

Edited by EmersonAilidh

Don't have the time to reply to all posts. :/

No, no antibiotics & DEFINITELY no steroids. We're pretty suspicious of Lyme right now so steroids are a huge no-no. No doctor at all. Thank you, north Texas. -___-

It's not really a feeling of not getting enough air, it's just.. A feeling like I need MORE air, for no apparent reason. Not dismissing Babesia though. Already tested positive for MycoP. No treatment for that, either. Doctor washed his hands of me when I tested positive for Lyme.

I've got about 100 pages left of Cure Unknown, & then Saving Sammy is next.

Thank you all! Tic, compulsion, who knows. & trust me.. I'm not stressing over this. Adding "breathing compulsions" to my list wouldn't faze me.

All of the tic/compulsion talk reminds me of once when I showed a doctor the tics in my toes.. He went "Well, Emerson, that looks like a habit." Oh, it's that simple? Well THANK YOU, miracle worker. I'll just make myself stop doing it then. Not like that's the entire reason I was seeing you or anything. Aaagghhh stressful week. :/

Not sure what the distinction is between not getting enough air and needing more air but it still sounds like it could be a babesia symptom to me. I had this symptom and I will never forget the feeling b/c it was a little frightening. The feeling can come and go or disappear altogether as it did for me. If you are positive for lyme there is a very good chance that this could be related to an infection like babesia b/c most lyme patients are multiply infected. Make sure you mention this to the llmd you end up seeing. Do you have sweats or thigh cramps?

I know what you are talking about when you say you have to breath to a certain point. I do that sometimes too. It feels to me like I have to stretch my lungs to a certain point before I feel like I get a "good breath". My dd did that a few years ago, before being diagnosed w/ pandas. It was a tic that passed. Funny though, because she is starting to hum and grunt a little more over the weekend, and today I noticed she is breathing out heavy every few breaths, where the other breathing tic was to breathe in deeply.

Yeah, like Priscilla wrote, I sometimes feel like my breathing is not bringing in enough air. No compulsions, just feels like I have been breathing too shallowly - as if I had forgotten to breathe deeply enough as odd as that sounds. Then when I try to breathe deeply, if I don't breathe "into the gut" properly, it doesn't cut it - doesn't pull enough oxygen into my lungs to make up for the deficit - & I have to try again. As someone else brought up, in my case, it is most likely because I have thyroid issues.