ACN Latitudes Forums

Augmentin, Diarreah,

My son just started his first round of Antibiotics and it has made him have diarrhea. I gave him probiotics last night but he has had diarreah 2 times today. I'm curious if I should try Activated Charcoal to help ease his stomach discomfort. Also, should I discontinue his magnesium while he is having the diareah? Thanks. Timing info of Charcoal would be great to. Thanks.

Cindi

I've never used charcoal, but we are proponents of the "good yeast" probiotic in our house known as saccharomyces boulardii, or "sach b." It is well known for combatting diarrhea, and I don't think our DS would've made it through the year-long abx regimen without it!

Sorry, can't comment on the charcoal, no experience with that. But, you may need to go hard and heavy with the probiotics for a while. Sacch B, as Nancy mentioned above is a good one but not the only one. I use that along with other ones as well. Nystatin can help also if probiotics are not enough. I have had that issue for months now, and am starting to believe that parasites/worms are involved as well, they probably grew stronger when the antibiotics killed all the other things hanging out down there. There are other things I am taking and doing for the parasites that seem to be helping, but very slowly. It can be tricky!

We upped the probiotics and added Sacch B when my son started having diarrhea from the antibiotics. We also added bentonite clay AND charcoal for a while. All these together corrected the problem. I can't advise you on the magnesium, but our doctor said to take the charcoal away from other supps/meds/food. We've discontinued the charcoal but continued giving him bentonite clay, because the way he eats and the number of supps/meds he takes, there just aren't enough hours in the day.

charcoal may assist in firming up the poop, I give it 1.5 to 2 hours away from other supps/meds.

If you give sac. b then you don't need to separate it from the antibiotics. If you give another probiotic then give it 1.5 to 2 hours away from antibiotics and charcoal. You may need to up those probiotics pretty high and keep them high for awhile after the high dose is done...