ACN Latitudes Forums

prednisone discovery

laure

Perhaps this will help someone else to not endure the 4 days we just have. My dd 9 was reacting badly to Augmentin, so Dr. B put her back on a prednisone taper, exactly like the last one which worked marvelously 2 weeks ago. I filled it at a different pharmacy and instead of "take 1 pill 3 times a day for 6 days" etc. this one read "take 3 pills once a day for 6 days" so that is what we did. We had a monster living with us for 4 days, until finally I thought that maybe the dosing was the problem. My pharmicist said it shouldn't matter, but if she was hyper or anything like that, we could take the meds the way we did last time, no problem. Switched over today, and we have a nice girl living with us now. Seems simple enough, but I follow directions unless it occurs to me to question them, don't know why I didn't question sooner, could be the lack of sleep...

Hope this helps someone out there!

That is very interesting--thanks for sharing it on the forum.

What happened with the Augmentin, was it full dose for your dd weight? May I ask what the bad reaction looked like and if your dd was switched to a different abx? Thanks--

That is very interesting--thanks for sharing it on the forum.

What happened with the Augmentin, was it full dose for your dd weight? May I ask what the bad reaction looked like and if your dd was switched to a different abx? Thanks--

She was already on zith 250 mg a day (she weighs 90 pounds) and he added Augmentin 875/125 two times a day. By the end of day one it was a nightmare, brand new OCD contamination issues that prevented her from coming in the house, wearing shoes, etc. As soon as we stopped the Augmentin and added the prednisone, those things went away instantly, but then lots of rages...until I corrected the dosing of the prednisone, and now she is much happier and easier to live with.

Thanks for sharing this. I know that I was told by Dr. L, if side effects are seen, you can modify by giving more or less at different times. Her example was that if my daughter couldn't sleep from the pred, then I could give most of it in the morning and then a smaller dose at night.

For us, it was never an issue, though. For both of my daughter's tapers, the first 2 weeks at the higher doses was split up into twice a day.

Good luck with the pred!

She was already on zith 250 mg a day (she weighs 90 pounds) and he added Augmentin 875/125 two times a day. By the end of day one it was a nightmare, brand new OCD contamination issues that prevented her from coming in the house, wearing shoes, etc. As soon as we stopped the Augmentin and added the prednisone, those things went away instantly, but then lots of rages...until I corrected the dosing of the prednisone, and now she is much happier and easier to live with.

That is interesting. I'm wondering, have you tried a higher dose of Azith. (500mg/day), in lieu of the Augmentin?

That is interesting. I'm wondering, have you tried a higher dose of Azith. (500mg/day), in lieu of the Augmentin?

I asked about this last month, after just our first appointment, but Dr. B. wanted to stay the course and see how she did that first month. Maybe I should ask again... she did get a lot better but still had OCD issues, not better and not worse. But sensory issues went away, so she could shower, brush her hair, things like that which had been a battle for 3 months, and schoolwork soared. But the hand washing is frequent, handles of all types off limits, clothing others have worn or touched, etc. etc., all still issues. Anyone else on 500 mg with a kid this size (90 pounds)?

I asked about this last month, after just our first appointment, but Dr. B. wanted to stay the course and see how she did that first month. Maybe I should ask again... she did get a lot better but still had OCD issues, not better and not worse. But sensory issues went away, so she could shower, brush her hair, things like that which had been a battle for 3 months, and schoolwork soared. But the hand washing is frequent, handles of all types off limits, clothing others have worn or touched, etc. etc., all still issues. Anyone else on 500 mg with a kid this size (90 pounds)?

Our 64 pounder is on 500mg Azith./day (as a 1 mo. trial to see if we can get her closer to 100%). Normally she takes 250mg/day. SFmom had a forty-something pounder on 500mg/day (not sure how long).