ACN Latitudes Forums

You know you're a PANDAS parent when...

Ok.. so I left work today after quickly replying to an email from another PANDAS parent and checking latitudes forum... Drove to my son's school and fielded a phone call from his teacher on the way discussing his inability to focus with the recent sinus infection... picked him up and drove to the children's hospital for a sinus CT scan... back home I retrieved the mail for the day - a magazine from OU (because I am now a proud supporter of OU since donating money for my son's Cam Kinase test).... and (get this) a Christmas CD by Dr. B (yes.. if you donate $25 to Pandas Resource Network you get a Christmas CD with Dr. B singing). My husband says we can play it all the way to Connecticut next time we go! Made dinner real quick and came to latitudes to rejoice that Dr. C was able to use the Pepsi refresh money to recruit a new doc! I think I need to be checked for OCD myself.

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You know you are a PANDAS parent when you are signing permission slips to keep them from participating in the field trip (because of fear of going too far from home, just in case there is a tornado and getting home too late) and to keep them from participating in the Spelling Bee (because... well, just because it's way too much stress).

Susan

While with your PANDAS son, you run into an old high school friend while out shopping.

He is there with his daughter. You greet him with a big hug, introduce the kids, then he promptly tells you he is there picking up a script for his daughter who just came back from the doc and diagnosed with strep. Dread must have come over your face and you must have turned white as a ghost, because without you saying a word...just standing there frozen...he pulls his daughter close to him...puts a hand gently on her mouth, and just kind of looks at you. You hurriedly depart from him and his daughter.........then, you find a corner in the store, pull out your hand sanitizer.....then proceed to apply it to your neck, side of face, arms, clothes...anywhere that touched him when you hugged him! LOL :wacko:

You see Panda bears everywhere while at the toy store doing Christmas shopping & hide them so you don't have to look at them. It also keeps you from ripping them apart! Seriously...is it just me or are those bears just all over the place this year?! AND you're not sure, but wonder if any of your friends might think it's "cute" to get you some sort of Panda bear gift for Christmas...then remember that you never see or talk to them anymore, so the idea of getting gifts is remote. And if your son gets anything Panda-y for Christmas, you know you're gonna immediately dispose of it. Thankfully, his favorite animal is an elephant, & I don't think that acronym would ever work...no matter what they rename it. ;)

Another one is when you tell the story of what PANDAS is to everyone. My GYN was listening and had to put her gloves on to shut me up. Geez. And the little guy at the vitamin shop--his eyes just glazed over when I started telling him. Met a nice lady at Target in the toy dept & gave her my Mommy card since she also homeschools & then I didn't shut up about why my son was on homeschool hiatus & am sure I freaked her out...never heard from her. And yes...I'm the weird person that talks to strangers out at stores because I never get to practice my social skills anymore...and what's worse is that I'm an introvert, so I seem really weird.

@Emerson--I was gonna say the Facebook thing too. ;)

@P. Mom---what an awful story. I was talking to a lady that my hubby works & she told me that her best friend's granddaughters had strep & I could feel panic & the change in my face & this lady hadn't even been around those kids.

When you call the pediatrician's office and tell them that you need an appointment.....and they say " yes Mrs. Bossman, which child, or how many?" Seriously it really happens to me.....they recognize my voice, and not just one of the receptionists up front.....all of them. One time I tried to sound a little different because it's almost embarassing....and they still got me! I have 4 kids.....w/out symptoms of strep, and one pandas child, so I take them in for strep checks frequently.....ok, maybe more than frequently.....but at least you guys understand!!!!!

When you call the pediatrician's office and tell them that you need an appointment.....and they say " yes Mrs. Bossman, which child, or how many?" Seriously it really happens to me.....they recognize my voice, and not just one of the receptionists up front.....all of them. One time I tried to sound a little different because it's almost embarassing....and they still got me! I have 4 kids.....w/out symptoms of strep, and one pandas child, so I take them in for strep checks frequently.....ok, maybe more than frequently.....but at least you guys understand!!!!!

Maybe they are using caller ID. Did you try calling from a different phone just to trip them up?? The sad part is... I tried this with the main office in the school and they STILL knew it was me AND they knew the first three digits of my cell phone number when they wrote down the message :wub:

When your kindergartner celebrates National Nut Day at school and his response to the starter phrase "It makes me nuts when..." is "when my mom makes me step on the cracks" complete with a picture of me pushing him over a series of lines.

Yes, I push my son onto the sidewalk cracks that he tries to step over. A little exposure plus response prevention.... at least he laughs about that one.

I've been reading the forum for a while and I'll send a longer introductory post but thanks for all of your dedication to trying to figure all of this out.

Frannie (mom to Jack- 5 1/2)

When you're at kroger and you overhear a mom (standing there with her son) telling another mom he was just diagnosed with strep and had to stay home from school. You dart as far away as you can and proceed to complian to your husband how it's irresponsible of her to take him to a grocery store.

How when other moms tell you their kids' problems, you have a list of supplements and ideas of what to do for them to get better. Now, these moms don't know your child has PANDAS. So, you then being to wonder what they think of you and how you know all of this.

When you get on the automatic defense when friends on facebook post quizes and links about mental illness and make light of it.