ACN Latitudes Forums

doxy side-effects

I find that we have to take it right in the middle of a substantial meal. If I take it on an empty stomach, or with only a light meal or right after I eat, it upsets my stomach.

Make sure the meal has some form of carb too, it really does help.

Also, don't lay down for at least an hour after you take it to avoid reflux. My son and I take it with a ginger root capsule as well to help avoid the stomach upset.

Hope this helps :)

Doc told us to take .5 ml of liguid Benadryl, eat protein, generally in the form of meat, and then take the Doxy. She was very emphatic about the fact that it should be consumed with protein. Since we started doing it the way she told us, no more vomiting (previously we had been taking it with crackers). Hope he feels better soon.

Doc told us to take .5 ml of liguid Benadryl, eat protein, generally in the form of meat, and then take the Doxy. She was very emphatic about the fact that it should be consumed with protein. Since we started doing it the way she told us, no more vomiting (previously we had been taking it with crackers). Hope he feels better soon.

I avoided nausea by taking it in the am with an egg sandwich. I would often take a drink of kefir with it too and that helped. As long as you have food before and after it is easier.

LIKE this idea! I have a more difficult time with doxy in the am. I've been eating just tea and toast. I don't have as much of a problem in the pm. No one ever told me about taking it with protein. Just to eat something light. Think I'll try this.

Newbeginnings, thanks for the tip about not lying down one hour after. I was having a problem with reflux. I drink ginger tea and that helps.

I avoided nausea by taking it in the am with an egg sandwich.

LIKE this idea! I have a more difficult time with doxy in the am. I've been eating just tea and toast. I don't have as much of a problem in the pm. No one ever told me about taking it with protein. Just to eat something light. Think I'll try this.

Newbeginnings, thanks for the tip about not lying down one hour after. I was having a problem with reflux. I drink ginger tea and that helps.

I avoided nausea by taking it in the am with an egg sandwich.

I hadn't heard about the protein either but I realized quickly that I needed something substantial in my stomach in order to take doxy in the am and i could not take the medication right before or right after the sandwich-had to be in the middle :-). I also took the smaller doxy pills, not the big blue ones. I don't know what the difference is but I think they might be less powerful. I tried the big pills once b/c they accidentally gave me them when I filled a prescription. I didn't like them and went back and had it switched. Could have been something else that bothered me but I really like the little pills that are slightly smaller than a round advil. Dr. Jones had my son take Doryx which is slow release doxy b/c it is easier on your gut. He just could not handle the doxy. That's another option for those who can't take doxy.

I never put it together about the protein! Maybe that's why our morning dose doesn't bother us (egg sandwich for breakfast every day) I do notice though, at the dinner time dose, if it doesn't involve some form of carb, it makes me really nauseous. That's why I linked it to needing a carb. Maybe for me, it's the combo of both.

My son says that if he drinks a full glass of water with it, it helps too.

This medicine is brutal. I was on it for three months last year for an eye infection. (As a side effect my skin looked great on this medicine-perfect complexion). I often wonder about giving kids this drug for Lyme. They call it herxing when a kid shows bad signs on a drug but what if it is just a bad reaction to the brutal drug. If it made me feel so badly as an adult -I would imagine that a kid would feel 10 times worse. High dosage, smaller bodies. Herxing is a common effect when killing off bacteria but with this drug I would have a hard time distinguishing between herxing and just plain old horrible side effects.

I made it a point to have protein this morning with my Doxy and indeed, I think it really helped. I couldn't quite bring myself to make an egg salad sandwich -- I love egg salad but with Doxy I can't seem to eat much for breakfast. However I did have a spoonfull of peanut butter and that seemed to work. Tomorrow I might try a soft boiled egg. Thanks for the protein tip! :)

Nancy