ACN Latitudes Forums

A little update & bartonella rash question

Just a little update on our PANDAS/TBI saga. We seem to have eliminated one bug. Check off babesia for our DS12. They ran blood tests right ahead of his last IVIG and the results were way w/n normal range. The doc likes to see eosiphilic cationic protein below 10 and it was a 3. He was on Mepron. I will say we have had no babesia-like symptoms since starting the Mepron last fall.

One question about a bartonella rash. I think this is what is showing up on my son's back. A few very thin striated/streak, red marks. Typical for these to surface well into treatment. Is the "bug" being polled out, for lack of a better term? At first I thought it was a little "fingernail" self defense from a sister, but now I see a new batch and he really never runs around with his shirt off.

We are moving in the right direction with bumps--that's all I'll say for now.

Dawn

Hi, Congratulations on your success with Babesia! The rash you are describing sounds like the one my ds14 developed on his back. I thought it was stretchmarks from a growth spurt... but it was unusual for the location and red color. When our LLMD saw it she said it was clearly the Bartonella rash.

I have the Bartonella rash too - more like red squiggly spider veins on my legs and easy to mistake for varicose veins due to the location.

I would have your LLMD look at the rash.

Just a little update on our PANDAS/TBI saga. We seem to have eliminated one bug. Check off babesia for our DS12. They ran blood tests right ahead of his last IVIG and the results were way w/n normal range. The doc likes to see eosiphilic cationic protein below 10 and it was a 3. He was on Mepron. I will say we have had no babesia-like symptoms since starting the Mepron last fall.

One question about a bartonella rash. I think this is what is showing up on my son's back. A few very thin striated/streak, red marks. Typical for these to surface well into treatment. Is the "bug" being polled out, for lack of a better term? At first I thought it was a little "fingernail" self defense from a sister, but now I see a new batch and he really never runs around with his shirt off.

We are moving in the right direction with bumps--that's all I'll say for now.

Dawn

That's great-always take a picture of any rash so that you have it as a reference when you need it later.

Great news on getting rid of Babesia... I understand it typically happens in the first four months of treatment or it takes much, much, much longer to eradicate. Our Dr. will treat for an additional 10 months if still positive after that first four months.

As for the Bartonella, it is typical to get the rash when undergoing treatment, it also maybe becoming the predominate infection now that the Babesia is gone. Definitely take a photo as sometimes the rash will disappear fairly rapidly.

-Wendy

Yes, I snapped a picture--much to my son's disapproval!! More streaking was obvious today. The first time I saw this a couple weeks ago the streaks lasted a few days. He has been VERY irritable and anger/emotional rollercoaster yuck the last two weeks. Am talking to lyme doc tomorrow.

Dawn

Edited by Iowadawn

Question about this rash, can you believe this, in the middle of all of this with my dd, I got bit by a tick in September!!! I went for a run, came home to shower and found a tick on my underarm/ back area. So this was before I had my dd tested for lyme, but it made me think again because you wouldn't think we are susceptible to tick bites here in southern ca but it happens! I just ran down a street, no woods!!! just some foilage over the wall from backyards. So anyway, dd tested + for lyme, I had a red bump at the bite site for about a week or two. I have kept track, since... I had about 3 nights of profuse sweating, but what has sparked my interest now is a rash like that periodically surfaces on my shoulder blades and back of my arms. It seems to be little scratch, scabs, and it does itch- does the bartonella rash itch? I have put off doing anything for myself, been very concentrated on dd, I can't afford the igenex testing for me now- but may need to do something. So again, does anyone know if the bartonella rash itches??

So again, does anyone know if the bartonella rash itches??

priscilla -- sorry to hear about your bite but at least you know you got it, right? i am no expert on TBI rashes but. . . i went to my ds's integrative MD. he does a form of ART testing and diagnosed me with lyme, bartonella and babesia. i started a homeopathic protocol. the first few weeks, i felt like a truck hit me in the afternoons. after about 4 mths, i got a small typical bartonella rash on my upper leg. it lasted less than a week. it was the small stretch mark dot line rash -- no itching -- no feeling at all actually. probably around this time, i had the sensational of itching on my inner elbow at nighttime. after a few weeks, a bumpy rash came out on that inner elbow that at times could be very itchy. i couldn't find any info other than the typical stretch mark type rash about bartonella. my dr did believe this was due to treatment for TBI. it lasted a long time -- 4-5 weeks. went away and then came back quickly. it is just now going away again after 3-4 weeks.

Our LLMD added Rifampin to help get the bartonella that we seem to have on the run now.

He is begging to go to school ALL day tomorrow. It has been latter Sept since he has been in school this long. He has been going a bit more than a half day for several weeks. We'll give it a whirl.

Dawn

Oh--no itching rash.

I am very happy to hear Babesia is under control. Congrats indeed. I know you have been thru very hard times trying to deal with Lyme in the family.

Provocation rash is a good sign. Sounds like a Bartonella rash the way you describe it.

I am on Doxy for borreliosis and developed two bulls eyes- left thigh and right butt about a week into the treatment. It did itch initially but may have been dry skin but the bulls eye was clear and startling. Fading away now.

Jodie

Dawn,

Great news about the Babs. The Bartonella rash can itch. Best thing to do is put Benadryl cream on it if it itches. We are still treating for Bart/Babesia/Lyme but I think the Rocky Mountain Spotted Fever is gone!!!!!!!! DS has not had a new rash cycle in two months!

Cobbie