ACN Latitudes Forums

Gammaguard vs. gamunex, does it matter?

I have had over 300 IViG infusions. I have a primary immune disease. There are currently 8 IViG products FDA approved for PIDDs.

The product all deliver IViG but they have significant differences. Some patients have terrible side effects for some and not from others. Some have sucrose as a base; not good for diabetics, others do not.

For whatever it's worth, Gamunex has studies that show it has the lowest amount of negative side effects. Gammagard is the most expensive the wholesale price could be as much as 35-50% more than Gamunex, but if you have IgA antibodies it is the advised product.

Since your infusions are for a relative short period of time, a seek for so, and ours are for a lifetime, I'm not sure the side effects issue makes as much of a difference.

I know in the past I've read one is better than the other. Does anyone know? Thanks.

I think by and large, the rx-ing doc decides what brand is best for the individual patient. Here's a side by side comparison of the different properties of several brands:

http://www.ashp.org/s_ashp/docs/files/DShort_IVIGsidebysideupdatedDec07.pdf

• 8 months later...