ACN Latitudes Forums

BRACES!

dcmom

Hello parents.

Two pandas daughters, both need braces, one needs an upper palate expander first.

Has anyone done braces since pandas diagnosis? Has it caused any issues?

Invisalign? I may check to see if this is an option, not sure if it would make any difference.

(we have not seen flare ups with dental cleanings/exams>)

Thanks.

(One daughter could in reality go without- she had a palate expander prior to pandas with no issues. The other def looks like she will NEED at least the expander.... I guess my plan would be to get these done asap, as I would rather cause issues now, than when they are in high school.)

Looking for any input :)

Older more symptomatic pandas dd12 had palate expander that actually helped with a less harmful OCD ( at 7 yo she was playing with the spacers rather than pick at her skin).

For same dd12, we go for braces treatment plan a week from tomorrow. She had the moldings done a couple weeks ago. Younger dd8 will not be far behind her with different dental issues.

I personally don't think invisalign will be a good choice for my older dd. Too much in her hands. We had all the metals testing done for both girls and nothing significant showed up.

Hello parents.

Two pandas daughters, both need braces, one needs an upper palate expander first.

Has anyone done braces since pandas diagnosis? Has it caused any issues?

Invisalign? I may check to see if this is an option, not sure if it would make any difference.

(we have not seen flare ups with dental cleanings/exams>)

Thanks.

(One daughter could in reality go without- she had a palate expander prior to pandas with no issues. The other def looks like she will NEED at least the expander.... I guess my plan would be to get these done asap, as I would rather cause issues now, than when they are in high school.)

Looking for any input :)

You might have them on abs during procedures to be safe. Also give advil before appointments (may help with pain too).

We haven't had major problems with braces, although at times there have been some moodiness/anxiety after appointments...not sure how much of that was PANDAS.

Hi DCMom --

DS14 has had both an expander and braces with no increase in behaviors at all. In fact, he commented at some points that the braces . . . His new awareness of them, getting accustomed to them, etc. . . . Helped edge out some of his thought-oriented OCD because the novelty of the braces and the persistent physical feeling of them, especially in the beginning, gave his brain something else to occupy itself with.

He did take ibuprofen fairly regularly for several days due to some discomfort.

My son got traditional metal braces at 14. He did worsen considerably. He pushed through it and he now has beautiful teeth. He homeschooled much of that time, so it wasn't as bad a time as it could have been.

My daughter has tried to wear Invisalign for the past two years, and we officially gave up on them a few weeks ago. She worsened every time she tried to wear them. She has several physical autoimmune issues as well, and those flared each time also.

Both of my kids have had PANDAS for years though (went undiagnosed), and they are both physically ill with immune issues, so they may be a severe case with the braces.

The orthodontis did say that the microtrauma from the braces has triggered flares in the immune system illnesses in some of his other patients as well. He was very understanding about the whole thing. (My daughter's was the worst case of that he's seen, though.)

MsMom

Our DD just got braces a month ago, no problems.

We are doing better since seeing you in St. Pete, florida.

started New psychatirc meds in Sept 2011. They have lessened her OCD by 33-50%.

We got IVIG approved in January 2012. Are doing with Dr Smith in Edison NJ. She just had second one done last week. Hope to see improvements from ivig; but not yet.

My daughter also got traditional metal braces at 13. She did fine until she had to get them tightened. We always saw a worsening of tics within a matter of hours after each appointment but they resolved fairly quickly also. We started doing an abx dosing 1hr. prior to appt. This seemed to help her.

Just as each of your children are different, each Pandas case has its own uniqueness also.(As you can see from the posts-- some had trouble with braces, some did not) It's so hard to know what to do. You just want to do what's best for you child/children.

Hi DCMom--both of our girls got braces this year, in September. (These new braces are so different from when I had them!) --they have the small metal brackets on the front of the teeth. No problems that I can correlate with appointments or installation, thankfully! They are both on continuing abx, and I do give them Advil on appt. days for the mild discomfort. Good luck!