ACN Latitudes Forums

Genomic Testing

Giselle

Hi everyone, long time no "see"! Been so busy with summer, Cub Scouts, new pets and life in general! Hoyt isn't doing so great, got really sick and his tics went nuts and I was also pretty lax about his food on a summer trip but he is starting to improve - hopefully can go to school. But I recall always having this worry just before school - will he go?, will I home-school? - and so far he's always rectified just before school - let's hope it happens again! Anyway, with this latest huge bout of horrible tics we redid a lot of tests but two new ones and I'm really interested to see if anyone else has tried one of them. One of the new tests was to test his amino acids but the other one is what I'm mostly wondering about your experience with. It's Amy Yasko's Genomic Testing. Apparently it tests the child's DNA/RNA SNPS to find out where the biochemical breakdowns are. Apparently a lot of people in the Autistic community have benifited from it - anyway, it's not cheap $700! but we decided to try it. It takes 8 weeks to get the results and we only took it last week (it's a finger prick blood test) but will keep you posted! Feels very CSI to me <_<

Sharing a Hoyt witicsm - he is always making funny little aside comments mostly to the air, testing to see if anyone "gets" his humor:

On our last trip to Target: "Gosh does that dog want his eye shot at?" I just thought that was so funny!

Ta for now!

Giselle

Giselle,

It's so nice to see you!!!!

I can't believe you're doing Yasko's genetic panel! I so hope you will post the results so others here (myself included) can learn more about it.

It would not surprise me one bit, if her work becomes a very important piece of the recovery puzzle for many people one day, in a whole host of disease. To know why a particular supplement is working or not working, the short routes around genetic glithches( until the longer pathways can function properly..my understanding), the aluminum strep theory, glutamate/GABA, ammonia and gut issues, chealating without chealating agents. It's just so exciting. If only this program were farther along. I don't think without having done the studying that I have, that I could get anything but overwhelmed even attempting to read that site. As it is, I can get something out of, about 1/3 of the posts.

Would love to know which Dr. got you started with it? I know there is at least one Dr. in CA that follows her protocol. I was under the impression the genetic testing was about $1400...are there different panels available?

Anyway, I'm sorry to hear of your little guys recent set back, and hope things get back on track quickly.

Hope to hear more from you soon. <_<

Hi Kim! I've missed you! Our main doctor recommended it ages ago and he will get the results but we also are going to start seeing Dr. Nancy Mullan (Burbank) who won't even begin seeing you until you have the results in hand. It was her office who told me to only get the $700 test because Dr. Mullan interprets the results - when you order the more expensive test you get Dr. Yasko's interpretation with it - I believe that is $300 more. Both Dr. Schwartz and Dr. Mullan were recommended to us by Jacquelyn McCandless (the Autism Guru). We shall see! What was interesting when first talking to the lady in Dr. Mullan's office when she was going over everything is that there are 6 forms of B12! Apparently this test will tell you what forms of the different vitamins are best for you. 6 forms! I was only aware of 2 (not that I did extensive research or anything but still!) It sounds like they are having many positive outcomes, at least with the Autism patients, as not many other spectrum kids have tried this. And yes, reading the information is quite a challenge - what was cool is they sent over a very detailed Krebs cycle chart (looking at that gave me a flashback into my Bio101 final YIKES!) - but it made it quite digestable and right away looking at it I know where some of his breakdowns HAVE to be and those were confirmed with some of the things we already know about him - that was cool, that yes, we at least are on our way to figuring some of this out. Anyway, I most definitely will post the results. And, dare I say this and jinx it, he had a very good day today.

Hoping you are well!

Giselle

I wondered if it was Dr. Mullan you were seeing.

About that chart. There are just a couple more, lol.

In case you haven't read the basics on what the test results mean, there is a fantastic thread here along with the charts.

http://www.ch3nutrigenomics.com/phpBB2/viewforum.php?f=24

Pathway Diagrams explanation/ A mothers view........ This is such a useful post to get acquainted with what your test results will be showing!

We have had at least 2 parents post about high taurine levels on test results, and one with a MTHFR mutation.

There are some great explanations on this site for helping to understand what some of these test results are showing and what enzymes are not functioning properly.

Hi Kim and Giselle!

It's nice to 'see' you. I have neither posted for ages nor have I read many posts. However, I have been meaning to update everyone on my son's progress, and I will do that on a separate thread when summer is over. This thread caught my attention, as we have been following the Yasko protocol since May.

Just a refresher... my son has been dealing with PANDAS for three years, and we have not used prophylactic antibiotics for a variety of reasons. We initially did allergy testing, followed Feingold, began supplements, had his adenoids removed, tried several antibiotics, tested and treated him for candida, did heavy metal testing, used hepa filters... the whole gamut. He did improve, but his tics remained, so we made an appointment with Dr. Mullan.

The genetic testing has provided us with SUCH valuable information about our son. I wish that we had the cash to test the whole family, but we'll focus on our son for now. Basically there are 5 detox pathways in the body, and the tests determine where blockages occur due to genetic mutations. The blockages are then bypassed/supported with a variety of herbs, vitamins and other natural supplements.

Learning the protocol is a marathon, as is the recovery of the children following Yasko. Over time, everything starts to make sense, but you do have to read it, learn it, and live it in order to fully understand it. I'm still on the learning curve, but it's so fascinating, and it's comforting to know that my son's genetic mutations are being bypassed/supported.

We added a new form of B12 a few weeks ago, and it has caused major detox. We were prepared for it, as certain supplements, such as Hydroxy b12, are more likely to cause detox. As such, my son currently has some tics, and is out of sorts. However, prior to adding the B12, he was tic free, and healthier than he has ever been in his life (subjective, I know, but I'm following my 'mother's gut' -_- ). The changes have been huge, but I will post later in August, after this round of detox has subsided.

Anyhow, Giselle, I am sure that you will find some more answers for Hoyt. I trust that you are in good hands, as Dr. Mullan has been wonderful for us. Feel free to PM me if you want more details. I'm still on vacation, so if I don't respond quickly, just know that I'm basking in the sun with my family! :lol:

Sunshine

Sunshine,

What a pleasure to read your post.

Please post as many details as possible when your done creating all of that Vit. D.

I'm so glad you are seeing positive things with the Yasko proto.

I have a copy of the genetics from a Mom who posted the results from her two TS/OCD kids. It would be nice to compare your results, Hoyt's, and these to see how close (or not) they come.

I can't remember Dee (Dominique) saying whether or not, they did the genetic testing for her PANDAS son. Since they were seeing Dr. Mullan too, I would think they must have?

Hi Kim,

I giggled at your comment about us making Vitamin D, as my son has double mutations on all three Vit. D receptors. That means that both my husband and I have at least one mutation on each of our three VDRs. It makes sense to me that my son's immune system could become so compromised with these (and other) genetic mutations. We all need more sunshine... the irony is that we do not live in a very sunny climate. Hawaii, here we come!

The Yasko Protocol has, so far, been very positive for my son. It is amazing to watch your children grow, but it is magnificent to watch a child who was so sick finally blossom. That is absolutely magical. I am constantly amazed at my son's strength during his healing process. I am so thankful for him and all of the other children who have lead us parents on the voyage of discovery and healing.

Kim, I will PM you my son's genetics, as it would be incredibly interesting to find overlap. My e-mail connection is currently down (Yikes!), so I'll send it to you in a week or so. I hesitate to post too much 'Yasko detail' here, as it can be confusing, and overwhelming when out of context. I also don't want to detract from this amazing forum, and all of the valuable information here. I will post a thread about my sweetie, and a general summary of what we have done to help him. If anyone wishes more detail, please PM me... I'm finally in a position where I can give back to this wonderful community at large. <_<

Sunshine

Sunshine,

Too cool!!!! Now I know what they're talking about when they refer to problems with VDR's.

I will wait until you post the general info, then maybe PM you with specific questions. I know exactly what you mean about confusing info. and a reluctance to post.

Until Giselle posted her info. I hadn't read the thread I linked to "Pathway Diagrams explanation/ A mothers view."

I had been searching threads relating to specific things like PANDAS and eating disorders/sugar cravings (still my nightmare with youngest). That helped clear up a lot of the genetic results! I havn't had much time to go back, and try to piece more together though.

As Cheri said, it just makes my heart sinnnnnnng, to hear of your sweeties improvements!