ACN Latitudes Forums

inositol or omega 3 as treatment for ocd?

hey guys! i have been suffering so much from ocd.. it distracts me from my studies so much already and i cant take it anymore! my grades are low because im always distracted and take a lot of time just giving in to my intrusive thoughts.. but then i heard that inositol and omega 3 helps? who is an ocd sufferer here and has taken inositol or omega 3? did it really work? did it lessen ocd? which would you prefer? inositol or omega 3? what brand of the vitamin do you take? =)

• 1 year later...
hey guys! i have been suffering so much from ocd.. it distracts me from my studies so much already and i cant take it anymore! my grades are low because im always distracted and take a lot of time just giving in to my intrusive thoughts.. but then i heard that inositol and omega 3 helps? who is an ocd sufferer here and has taken inositol or omega 3? did it really work? did it lessen ocd? which would you prefer? inositol or omega 3? what brand of the vitamin do you take? =)

Hi

I just came across your post. Hope this helps. My eight year old son has OCD. Rituals and contaminations issues. He would hold his spit and wash his face constantly. I have only given him one supplement besides his mulitvitamin and it's Inositol. I give him one tablespoon per day mixed in his drink. It definately helps. Over a few days he isn't as concerned with the contamination issues. He remembers that he should be but is able to not follow through and is okay with it. Most of the time. I am still new with this so that's pretty much all I have for you. It is very safe with really no side effects. I have heard of someone getting a rash, not sure how much they were taking. I hope you find something that works for you. Good Luck!

Sorry, I use GNC Inositol powder. 600 mg

Hi

Inositol has been a real help to my son with his OCD. He uses the Jarrow Inositol powder and takes a high dose (12-14 gm daily)

but he is an adult (19yo)

He also takes Omega 3 in the form of flaxseed oil

vitB6 in the P-5-P form helps the inositol work. methylcobalamin form of vitB12 along with these is a good idea, and so is methionine (some use samE but it is expensive)

my son's OCD used to be really severe. he used 5HTP when younger with success but it now makes him feel edgy so that is why he switched to the Inositol

Hi

Inositol has been a real help to my son with his OCD. He uses the Jarrow Inositol powder and takes a high dose (12-14 gm daily)

but he is an adult (19yo)

He also takes Omega 3 in the form of flaxseed oil

vitB6 in the P-5-P form helps the inositol work. methylcobalamin form of vitB12 along with these is a good idea, and so is methionine (some use samE but it is expensive)

my son's OCD used to be really severe. he used 5HTP when younger with success but it now makes him feel edgy so that is why he switched to the Inositol

I've heard that inositol should be given with choline - is that right? and what exactly is the P-5-P form of vit B 6? Is vitamin B 6 found in a mvi enough? thanks

Hi

I replied to this on the PANDAS forum too

my son gets choline in his multi shake but I have not heard that it is needed per se for Inositol function

choline is good for neuro stuff tho

P-5-P aka Pyridoxal-5-Phosphate is the form of B6 that has best absorption.

B6 is used by the body after the liver converts it to P-5-P so giving it this way eliminates the need for that extra step

B6 in turn helps other supps work better

info on VitB6

info on Inositol