ACN Latitudes Forums

Blood test results

annag

Hello, I have been writing here in other posts how my 12 year old stared twitching both shoulders since the end of August. Lat week I insisted on getting a second bllod tests done. The results came back EBV AB VCA, IgG is at 2324 high and EBV Nuclear Antigen Ab, IgG is at 835 high. while I am waiting for my neorologist to call me back - can someone explain what this means and if it can possibly relate to tics? Thank you

Anna,

I wanted to add, that a young school teacher friend of mine, has experienced a mouth stretching tic, and has a bit of an eye roll. She also has been experiecing anxiety/depression. She tested high for EPV virus antibodies too.

I'm thinking a viral panel, is probably a good idea, for our kids.

I just got a call back from the neirologist. She told me that this test means nothing, that my daughter probably had mono in a past and this elevated levels have nothing to do with ticcing. I wonder should I go to the pediatrician?

Anna,

I was afraid they were going to say that.

The best you can do, is make copies of info relating to all of this and fax or take it to them. This research will not be far enough along for years, possibly, to help any of our kids.

I know there is alot of talk about clearing virus on the autism bds.

Google virus autism and start reading. I know some have had success with rx antivirals, some use olive leaf extract etc. Problem is, is there anything active here, is it a problem with antibodies, or as Bmom posted, is it a trigger, for something else, that goes awry?

Anna,

The article that I posted the link to, in the previous post makes it sound like the test results can give you at least an idea of how long ago the virus was acquired.

I just scanned it, but, maybe you can take another look at it. It talks about current, and infection in the recent past.

If there is a way to determine the time frame, in relationship to the onset of her tics, I would think that the Neuro could at least take the time, to explain that to you. If not, maybe your reg. Dr could? Boy, those people can get lazy and closed minded for one heck of a price per hour.

From the article

It is important to realize that the Epstein-Barr virus, like all the human herpes viruses, does not totally leave the body after the patient recovers from illness. With EBV, the virus will intermittently recur in the saliva of people without any symptoms. Such people will have a test pattern of previous infection. It is this group of people who can transmit EBV to others without themselves being ill.

Abnormal results

The results for current or recent infection are:

antibody to EA = positive

antibody to VCA IgM = positive

antibody to VCA IgG = positive

antibody to EBNA = negative.

Without the pattern of the three antibodies, it can be difficult to be accurate in interpretation. The presence of antibody to VCA IgM is the best single test for current or recent first time infection.

Find a DAN! Doctor he will know how to make sense of those exams also a DAN dcotor can refer you to a PANDAS doctor if required

you could try going on an antiviral meds and see if the high viral titres are related to the tics....e.g if you can reduce the tics and see if the tics subside. Has she been recently vaccinated e.g MMR? or had exposure to strep u should tell ur DAN doctor

I think Sunflower has hit on something here. My daughter, now 14, has been experiencing a neck tic (nodding motion) since August as well, having been given her MMR booster in July. It went away for a few weeks in September after putting her on magnesium and Vit B supps but returned again in Oct. I truly believe that many of our children are much too sensitive for vaccinations and hence the symptoms they experience afterwards. It is very upsetting to me that we are legally forced to give vaccines. However, I agree with Sunflower that you should find a good DAN doctor who I am sure will be able to help.

If it is any consolation, my daughter started having excessive eye blinking around the age of 6/7 and after much prayers and research I found a wonderful doctor (DO)who tested and treated her for allergies and vit/mineral deficiencies at age 11. After a short while the symptoms went away and she had been fine since, until the MMR booster vaccination this summer. We are now consulting with her doctor and I will share results on this forum.

In the meantime, I am so grateful to have the support of this wonderful community of caring individuals with the common goal of "our children's wellness".

God bless

Sherry

Our DAN Dr. also believes exactly what you are saying. The immunizations put them over the edge when they already have a predisposition for tics and immune problems. My question to you is did you give all the supplements the DO suggested for mineral difficiency? My son has the same with yeast overgrowth and metabolic problems. Well the DAN wants him on so many supplements that it is overwhelming. Plus he is talking chelation and Nystatin and amino acids. I think it is alot for a five year old. Isn't it odd that the DAN is the only Dr. suggesting any treatment plan involving meds or supplements? Thank you for sharing your story too. It is wonderful if you share your plan. I think the kindergarten and flu vaccines are what put my son over the edge too.

Michele

I think Sunflower has hit on something here. My daughter, now 14, has been experiencing a neck tic (nodding motion) since August as well, having been given her MMR booster in July. It went away for a few weeks in September after putting her on magnesium and Vit B supps but returned again in Oct. I truly believe that many of our children are much too sensitive for vaccinations and hence the symptoms they experience afterwards. It is very upsetting to me that we are legally forced to give vaccines. However, I agree with Sunflower that you should find a good DAN doctor who I am sure will be able to help.

If it is any consolation, my daughter started having excessive eye blinking around the age of 6/7 and after much prayers and research I found a wonderful doctor (DO)who tested and treated her for allergies and vit/mineral deficiencies at age 11. After a short while the symptoms went away and she had been fine since, until the MMR booster vaccination this summer. We are now consulting with her doctor and I will share results on this forum.

In the meantime, I am so grateful to have the support of this wonderful community of caring individuals with the common goal of "our children's wellness".

God bless

Sherry

Our DAN Dr. also believes exactly what you are saying. The immunizations put them over the edge when they already have a predisposition for tics and immune problems. My question to you is did you give all the supplements the DO suggested for mineral difficiency? My son has the same with yeast overgrowth and metabolic problems. Well the DAN wants him on so many supplements that it is overwhelming. Plus he is talking chelation and Nystatin and amino acids. I think it is alot for a five year old. Isn't it odd that the DAN is the only Dr. suggesting any treatment plan involving meds or supplements? Thank you for sharing your story too. It is wonderful if you share your plan. I think the kindergarten and flu vaccines are what put my son over the edge too.

Michele

God bless

Sherry

Hi,

I am kinda new here, first, can someone please tell me what a DAN doctor is? I would REALLY appreciate it!

Thanks!

Kelly :)

Defeat Autism Now (DAN) is a group of Dr.'s who specialize in autism spectrum disorders. Here is the link. http://www.autism.com/index.htm

There are alot of similarities between autism and PANDAS disorder and immune system regulation. This is a good site and has some suggested treatments and explanation of supplements. The summary of biomedical treatments for autism is very informative.

Michele

Michele

God bless

Sherry

Hi,

I am kinda new here, first, can someone please tell me what a DAN doctor is? I would REALLY appreciate it!

Thanks!

Kelly :)

Hi Michelle,

Yes we did all of the supplementation and it worked, but I know it can all be overwhelming. However, most supplements come in capsules and many are obtainable in power form so you can try combining in juice etc, which makes it much easier. It is what I did when my daughter was much younger so you may want to speak with your doctor about that approach.

Our doctor did the spectracell test - http://www.spectracell.com/ - and was able to determine her exact deficiencies and guaged supplementation accordingly. She will be tested again soon but we have to travel to her DO and so in the meantime she is taking Super Vit. B by Allergy Research Group, Zinc Plus by Klaire Labs, P5P Plus Pyridexal 5 Phosphate (vit B 6) with magnesium also by Klaire Labs. Next week we will add taurine and a good multi vit/mineral and see how it goes. Our DO also suggested Borage oil caps instead of fish oil as his experience is that kids tend to be less sensitive to it. I haven't seen Borage mentioned on here and wonder if anyone has had experience with it?

Sherry

Sunshine,

Wow that is really interesting. A regular doctor runs these tests? I am not sure of what a DO does? Does he believe in alternative meds then? I suppose you can get this covered by insurance then? Thanks for sharing. I saw a local Dr. on the list. He is a DC? Not sure what that is either. Thanks for the info. I would like to tell you a list of the supplements the DAN gave us to use to see if they are familiar to you. Did you ever try nystatin or amino acids that were compounded specific for your daughter? We do taurine, zinc pic, multi vitamin, probiotics, (used to do coremega?) Eventually he wants hiim on vit c, CO Q10, MCT oil, GLA , 5HTP, Vit A, Vit D plus digestive enzymes, pen vk antibiotic, . Have you ever tried chelation for metals? DAN wanted to get him ready for chelation. This is scary to me to give so many supplements to a young child.

Michele

Hi Michelle,

Yes we did all of the supplementation and it worked, but I know it can all be overwhelming. However, most supplements come in capsules and many are obtainable in power form so you can try combining in juice etc, which makes it much easier. It is what I did when my daughter was much younger so you may want to speak with your doctor about that approach.

Our doctor did the spectracell test - http://www.spectracell.com/ - and was able to determine her exact deficiencies and guaged supplementation accordingly. She will be tested again soon but we have to travel to her DO and so in the meantime she is taking Super Vit. B by Allergy Research Group, Zinc Plus by Klaire Labs, P5P Plus Pyridexal 5 Phosphate (vit B 6) with magnesium also by Klaire Labs. Next week we will add taurine and a good multi vit/mineral and see how it goes. Our DO also suggested Borage oil caps instead of fish oil as his experience is that kids tend to be less sensitive to it. I haven't seen Borage mentioned on here and wonder if anyone has had experience with it?

Sherry

Hi Michele,

Our kids have special needs and it can be a scary place to be. However, being scared can be a good thing in that you will be more prune to ask questions, research etc to be convinced that the treatment being suggested is the right one for your child. Basically, I think if we find ourselves feeling uncomfortable or with more questions than answers then is the time to put up the stop sign.

To answer your question about the DO, the simple answer is that a DO is an Ostopathic Doctor. If you visit the following website you can learn more:

http://www.osteopathic.org/index.cfm?PageID=ost_omed but the following is a quote from the site for ease of reference:

" .... You are more than just the sum of your body parts. That’s why doctors of osteopathic medicine (D.O.s) practice a “whole person” approach to health care. Instead of just treating specific symptoms, osteopathic physicians concentrate on treating you as a whole.

Osteopathic physicians understand how all the body’s systems are interconnected and how each one affects the others. They focus special attention on the musculoskeletal system, which reflects and influences the condition of all other body systems.

This system of bones and muscles makes up about twothirds of the body’s mass, and a routine part of the examination D.O.s give patients is a careful evaluation of these important structures. D.O.s know that the body’s structure plays a critical role in its ability to function. They can use their eyes and hands to identify structural problems and to support the body’s natural tendency toward health and self-healing.

Osteopathic physicians also use their ears to listen to you and your health concerns. D.O.s help patients develop attitudes and lifestyles that don’t just fight illness but also help prevent it. Millions of Americans prefer this concerned and compassionate care and have made D.O.s their physicians for life.

Hope that helps to give a better understanding of what DO's are all about. :)

No, nystatin was not prescribed for my daughter and is usually used to treat yeast type infections. We did have amino acids and vitamins compounded specific to her needs, based on the results of the spectracell test and her symptoms. We also did allergy testing and administered a short series of allergy shots, also based on the results of those tests.

Did the DAN identify a problem with metals in your son's system? I'm not very familiar with chelation therapy and no my daughter hasn't had it.

If I can be of any other assistance feel free to post!

Sherry