ACN Latitudes Forums

I've stopped the fish oil

hi all..

I said the other day that I was starting my boy on fish oil, Efalex gel capsules. I was sort of hoping it would be ok, but I'd heard how some react badly... still I was not looking for problems with it.

He started taking it 9 days ago.His tics were a bit above usual when he started Efalex. Well apart from one day I'm convinced the tics are much worse. As for his bahaviour... rotten. I even felt like he was very "down" at times. It's almost like someone has wound him up so tight that he has to let of energy.

So he had his last one this morning, missed the lunch and tea time one. Tonight before bed he seemed a little calmer... but who knows?

Just have to see I suppose.

How long would you expect the tfish oil gel caps to get out of his system?

Thankyou,

Lyn.

Lyn,

I don't know how long it will take re: the fish oil, but I did look up the ingredients listing on your brand.

Nothing shouted out at me from a food allergy standpoint (unless thyme is a problem) the ingredients are benign.

So I wanted to just mention pyroluria, only because our Dan Doc told us that sometimes folks with pyroluria do very badly on fish oil supps. He said that they may be deficient in omega 6s and 9s and have a different sort of fatty acid imbalance.

I just thought I would throw that out there. May mean nothing in your case. Our son was dxd with pyroluria and since his diet change it has sort of corrected itself (unless he goes under major stress). We are able to give him fish oil. I buy Nordic naturals 3,6,9.

So for what it's worth---

Caryn

Hi Caryn, thanks for your reply.

So the kind of fish oil my son was using couldn't have the negative effect others on here are talking about? Just wondering.

When I read that fish oil can increase tics I was a bit dubious but thought I'd give it a shot.

Thanks again,

Lyn.

Hi Lyn

my son has tried almost every variation of fishoil available and ALL make him tic more

we tried many because the health benefits of fishoil are remarkable

but eventually we had to switch to flaxseed oil istead

also for him with Crohns, as for kids with PANDAS or any inflammatory illness, any that have high omega6 (eg evening promrose oil) is bad becasue omega 6 increases inflammation whereas omega 3 decreases it

Hi. Just an update. Went to the Dr this morning, he said it was a good idea to stop the fish oil. I took along the Efalex bottle to show him and he sort of shook his head. He said Efalex was supposed to be "the great thing" a few yrs ago but there's been alot of bad things said since then. He does deal a bit with TS kids & adults and says fish oil can have a very neg impact, and he steers clear of recommending it.

He advised a multi B complex... which I've seen advised here also... he said B6 is great as are all of the B's. I showed him the magnesium Tissue Salts he's having and he said that dose is fine.

He's going to review the need for a low dose med in about 7 weeks.

So as of today Brendan's new regime is:

B Complex Forte x 1 daily. {Nature's Own brand}

Schuessler Tissue Salts Musc relaxant {mag phos} half tablet 4 times daily

Kidz Minerals "Be Calm" Tissue Salts 1 tablet x 4 daily.

The ingredients in the Be Calm tissue salts are:

250 grams each of the following: Potassium Phosphate ; Mag Phosphate ; Ferric Pyrophophate & SiliconeDioxide.

So here's hoping I guess. ;)

Thank you for your help. Interesting that yet another DR feels that way about Fish Oil with TS. Yet I'm sure it has extreme benefits in many other cases.

What made me feel good was that the DR actually complimented me on what I'm doing for my boy. He said "You're obviously heading in the right direction and really trying." It was nice not to get that "You're so stupid" look when mentioning the natural approach. :D

Lyn