ACN Latitudes Forums

eye rolls - help!

Hi all -

I wrote already to Carolyn and Cherie, and I thought I'd open this question up to all of you.

My son has had an explosion of eye tics recently - really bad. He is doing this jaw thrusting thing with it. And then there's the coughing - I'm going nuts.

He is on a strict diet - we had his IGG tested - but we cheated a bit last month. Here are my quetions for you:

* How long does offending food stay in the system? Can it crop up weeks later and cause an explosion of tics?

* Would you recommend taurine or nyastine for him? He's on:

* Fish oil

* Flax seed

* Enzymes for digestion

* Priobiotics

* Magnesium with calcium (lemon flavored - he's not supposed to eat citrus... I wonder if this is an issue.)

I have posted here in the past and you've all been so great. Thank you in advance.

Thank you.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Andrea,

don't know if things have calmed down yet, but I would take out the fish oil, unless it never seemed to be a problem before and you have been giving it quite a while.

Was there anything you were doing that changed? A little cheating is understandable, we all go thru it to keep the balance for our kids. For us, when I realize that he's had enough cheats and he seems to be reacting to the accumulation, then its time for a clean up and more often than not we usually see a settling back after about a week to 10 days, to a milder level. I know your son is still young, so you might go thru this once in a while.

Please let us know how your little guy is doing.

Faith

Hello,

My son has the same conditions, eye rolling to the right with jaw dropping. It's crushing me to see this and we were seeing a Neurologist who just wants to pump meds into him. Two days ago we have eliminated all problem foods after reading A Natural Treatment book, (i.e sugars artificial ingred. etc.) Can I ask you what is the first step to test for an Intradermal skin testing, allergies/blood levels..would it be an Environmental Physician? What is an IGG and who can perform it? I was in Taiwan and went to a Chinese doctor who prescribed some Holistic medicine which seems to be working but the facial tics are still there and they change from time to time. Any input would greatly be appreciated. Thank you

My son who is now 7, started eye rolling about a year ago and more recently head shaking.

What has worked for him are magnesium supplements and vitamin b50 complex.

For magnesium he takes the attentive child supplements, one tablet in the morning and one at night. For the b50 complex, He takes half a pill in the morning and half at night. He also takes a generic multi-vitamin at night.

That has basically eliminated all his ticking.

We stopped his supplementation for a while just to see what would happen and his ticks starting coming back so I think the magnesium and vitamin b50 are definitely doing something to control the ticks.

I got a lot of helpful information from reading the posts on this forum so I would like to thank everybody for their contributions.

My son who is now 7, started eye rolling about a year ago and more recently head shaking.

For magnesium he takes the attentive child supplements, one tablet in the morning and one at night. For the b50 complex, He takes half a pill in the morning and half at night. He also takes a generic multi-vitamin at night.

We stopped his supplementation for a while just to see what would happen and his ticks starting coming back so I think the magnesium and vitamin b50 are definitely doing something to control the ticks.

I got a lot of helpful information from reading the posts on this forum so I would like to thank everybody for their contributions.

David,

My son is also 7 with the same issues. I have found great results with the supplements also but the tics seem to creep back. Did you do anything else besides them?

abbe

Thanks for the information..So David & abbe I'm assuming you read a similar situation here in the Forums and proceeded to distribute the same dose of the supplements based on that? Also how long before you saw results once starting the supplements and did you adjust his diet as well? We are in the process of a new diet..Thanks a lot for all your input..

David,

My son is also 7 with the same issues. I have found great results with the supplements also but the tics seem to creep back. Did you do anything else besides them?

abbe

Hi,

I have read a lot on this forum about seasonal allergies causing tic explosions. I have not seen this in my house, but have read about it here.

My son had a head jerk tic and a minor vocal tic when we went all natural. I was told we had a high salycilate diet (by the forum members) and when I reduced his high saylcilate foods the head jerks went away. I never realized that cantelope, tomatoes, leafy greens, OJ, nuts, etc could be bad for his tics b/c they seem so healthy....but that was all he was eating!

We were left with an eye tic. I added NAC, Gaba, and Aceytl L Carnitine to his supplements and the eye tics finally disappeared. We are still using Ester C, Cardio Vascular Magnesium Taurate, Flax Seed Oil (instead of fish oil), and Calcium Citrate. It works for him and when we reduce the supplements too much, his tics reappear. We try and keep the artificials and preservatives out of his diet....and nitrates make his tics worse.

Good luck with finding the right recipe.

We haven't done anything else besides giving my son the attentive child tablets, vitamin b50 pills, and multi-vitamin. We haven't changed his diet or made changes to his daily routine.

In terms of results, we first gave him the attentive child tablets (which has the magnesium) and that helped a bit, but didn't completely eliminate his head shaking. Subsequently, we starting giving him the vitamin b50 and the results were dramatic. His ticks completely stopped within 2 weeks. So I think you'll know very quickly if the supplements are working or not.

I was skeptical that something as common and cheap! as vitamin b50 would do anything, but it really worked for my son. I'm hoping his ticks won't creep back up, if it does we'll try something else. Maybe increase his dosage, as he is a growing boy after all.

The vitamin b50 that we use is the brand they sell at walmart. I cut it in half, crush it, and put it in yogurt and he takes half a pill in the morning and half a pill at night.

Dave

Thanks for the information..So David & abbe I'm assuming you read a similar situation here in the Forums and proceeded to distribute the same dose of the supplements based on that? Also how long before you saw results once starting the supplements and did you adjust his diet as well? We are in the process of a new diet..Thanks a lot for all your input..

David,

abbe

Dave,

Thanks for your post. I have given Nicholas b complex from country life it is in capsule form by the way(we also do the yogurt thing!) I did notice that the b complex made him gassy so I started to just give the b's separately which is difficult. Have you noticed any digestive discomfort in your son? By the way which multi are you using?

abbe

Yeah I did notice my son doing number 2 more often in the beginning, but I think his body has gotten use to it and now he is fine.

We give him the centrum kids multi-vitamin.

One thing I want to add is my family has a history of tics/tourettes, so my son does have a genetic predisposition to it.

I have occasional tics, head shaking, shoulder shrugging when I'm under stress. Its not so bad that I need to take anything though.

I also have a few cousins/uncles who have the eye blinking tic and one that makes involuntary noises/grunts/coughs.

Dave

Dave,

Thanks for your post. I have given Nicholas b complex from country life it is in capsule form by the way(we also do the yogurt thing!) I did notice that the b complex made him gassy so I started to just give the b's separately which is difficult. Have you noticed any digestive discomfort in your son? By the way which multi are you using?

abbe

Dave,

Thanks for your response. This has all been new to me I didn't even know what a tic was. I swore up and down when Nick had his eye roll he needed glasses and then when he did need glasses I was just confused. I am happy to hear that you are comfortably living with it. As any parent would tell you I want the best for all of my kids and the past three months have been painful at times.

Thanks again and look for the country life b capsules if you get tired of crushing!

abbe

Hi,

Just thought I'd add my findings regarding the Vitamin B David mentions.

My son has mild TS and his flare ups were only ever for a few days. However, back in January this year they started up again and I started to give him Efalex {fish oil}. well the tics didn't calm down as they normally would . He was also on magnesium {which I will never remove}.

He had a DR appt after he'd been ticcing high for 12 days. I'd already ceased the fish oil thinking that could be responsible. Dr agreed that fish oil isn't real good to TS and he never recommends it for his patients. In particular the brand I was using was once seen as the answer for everything, but has apparently come under some clouds the last couple of years. {wish I'd known that earlier. ha}

He said to start him on a good Vit B complex and something to help calm him. I did, and the very next day i could see improvement, and 2 days later he was pretty much back to his mild self. Infact I hardly saw any ticcing at all.

Ofcourse, yes, the tics are still there, but nothing much. Some days are more than others, but still mild.

I'm not saying the fish oil was responsible, or that the Vit B is the only reason the tics calmed down. However, it all worked out well so I'm impressed.

We try to avoid art colourings etc, but defineatly avoid any art sweetener.

I was at the point during those 2 weeks of putting him on meds as school was starting again, and it seemed like there was no end in sight. {we all know how that feels, don't we?}

So, David, you feel that the Vit B has really helped? My son was diagnosed almost one year ago and I'd only ever had him on magnesium til the Vit B.

Like David's son, my son also has genetic TS {my brother has it} so I find it interesting that the VitB is working well for them. Maybe it's something that's lacking in genetic TS?

Our Dr said there is evidence that all TS patients would benefit from a Vit B complex. He said it just helps what could be lacking.

Thanks,

Lyn.

Hi my name is amber and about 3 1/2 years ago my doctors said my son had eye rolls other known as ticks at first they thought he may be having seizers and they come down to that did all kind of test he was 3 1/2 then now his 7 almost 8 y and the last couple of days he has been blinking alot and his step dad notice today when he blinks hard his bottom lip pulls.im worried doesnt look right .It did it before but this time seems differnt i guess maybe cause it hasent happened it a while.Im proubly not going to sleep tonight im 27 years old and i worry about everything they doctor he was seeing when it first happen he doesnt see any more cause me moved .Should i take him to his doctor he has beeing seeing for 2 years and have him took at this please let me know .Im worried about my baby i was about to take him to the er but all there going to do is stick him and run test that they have already run