ACN Latitudes Forums

Going to Sleep Problems

Heather

Hi,

I think there were back posts regarding some things you have used to help your child fall asleep and I can't seem to find them now. My son sleeps well through the night but has much trouble initially falling asleep, usually taking about an hour or more to actually drift into sleep. We do the bedtime routine with baths and reading before bed but he is still quite restless when it comes to closing his eyes and falling asleep. Have any of you used supplements to help with this process? Thanks.

Heather

hello Heather

this seems to be a very common problem with TS and I dont know if there is some neurological basis.......

the mildest sleep aid is chamomille tea......I believe one can also get it in homeopathic drops/tincture

also Linden tea is mild and good

milk with grated nutmeg is an "old time" sleep aid

some people find Passiflora(passion flower) helpful (Solaray makes a good one)

Other relaxants are Lemon Verbena and Lemon Balm

Claire has had success with a low dose of Melatonin, but, being a hormone, it is best discussed with a dr first. My son and husband found it made them groggy but they didnt sleep well and it left them feeling spaced out during the day time

DONT use Valerian for a child......I have personal bad experience with it and have heard the same from others......it also stinks!!

My son takes 5HTP (50mg) to boost his seratonin and so help with OCD/depression......ever since he started taking this in the evenings he has an easier time falling asleep. ......my husband however gets "WIRED" from it so it seems to effect different people differently

The Epsom Salts baths are also very soothing before bed.

I also have heard that many health stores sell "sleep" pillows which are filled with dried herbs that promote sleep, like Lavender.

I am sure others will have some good tips for you too

Heather, some of this discussion is buried deep in the restless calming agents thread

http://www.latitudes.org/forums/index.php?...topic=375&st=15

We are down to 1/3 mg per night of the melatonin (The tests on kids are at about 6 mg/night). With 1 mg he was drowsy the next day, at 1/3 mg he does great. I agree with Chemar--only try this with a doctor's advice, and even then do your research--since it is a hormone. I consider it 'transitional' for our son. It seemed to catch the last of his fears remaining from their onset at the last strep infection, though I don't know why--his doctor said maybe because it is an antioxidant, so it is helping with his general deficiency there in rebalancing his system (my layman's interpretation).

I tried to get magnesium taurate at Whole Foods, but no luck yet. efgh has had luck with this one.

From what I understand, not just with 5HTP, that what works for one child can have the opposite effect on another, so some trial and error is involved.

I actually bought the epsom salts but he still refuses to take a bath with them.

Claire

Heather,

I just bought a kids herbal book a few days ago. It has some great therapeutic tea recipes. One of the teas which is nourishing for the nervous system has among other things, oatstraw. The book says that this herb aids in healing the myelin sheath of the brain. The book is all packed away now for our trip so I can't fill you in on the exact recipe, but if I remember correctly it has: oatstraw, lemon balm, chamomile, catnip, raspberry leaves and I think spearmint for flavor. I made it for my son tonight and he loved it. Your supposed to boil a cup of water and steap the herbs for about 30-40 min then strain them, add a little bit of honey and it's a delicious tea.

I too like Chemar have not had a good experience with Valerian. I tried it a couple of times and it made my son very hyper and irritable.

Jennifer

Also, thank you so much for all of your input and ideas. It helps me greatly to hear of your experiences. As I have mentioned before, we have moved to a new town and I haven't pursued looking for a job right now with my son's TS. Since I am not getting out of the house as much as I would like during these cold winter days, I look forward to coming on here and communicating with all of you. It definitely lifts my spirits to hear from others who believe in this treatment and are having success with it.

Also, thanks to Sheila for initiating this whole forum.

Heather

magnesium taurate has helped my son IMMENSELY for his sleep. Its also good for tics in general and its overall a good mineral for nervousness, asthma etc.

Reg the cause of tics, yeah a good point. I have pondered about it for months together worrying, brooding etc about as to what went wrong, when and why??

All I can think of as reasons are as follows in MY case since there is JUST NO GENETIC link ...

1) child prematured by one month and emotional stressful pregnancy ( poor birth weight)

2) NOT breast fed even for a day .. he just would not take it (probably OCD from day one! - joking!) and he was on infant formula

3) lots of inhaled steroids due to his asthma as a toddler.

4) lots of ventolin which generally makes kids hyper for asthma

AND LAST BUT NOT THE LEAST

5) BAD LUCK

anyone else has any of the above reasons. any of your kids were on formula milk from day one???

Now, his asthma is much under control and after the NO TV, no dairy , no chocolates move his tics are much better.

Heather, you mentioned you don't give milk to your son. chocolates do have a lot of milk, right?? I don't give chocolates to my son since in his case I see a direct link between chocolates, sugar and his tics.. his tics are a lot related to his food sensitivities. Neither do I give him peanuts. He is allergic to peanuts. and no dairy too.

Jean, you are right , even my son's asthma gets triggered by chocolates.

Claire, have a great holiday.

Heather

magnesium taurate has helped my son IMMENSELY for his sleep. Its also good for tics in general and its overall a good mineral for nervousness, asthma etc.

Reg the cause of tics, yeah a good point. I have pondered about it for months together worrying, brooding etc about as to what went wrong, when and why??

All I can think of as reasons are as follows in MY case since there is JUST NO GENETIC link ...

1) child prematured by one month and emotional stressful pregnancy ( poor birth weight)

2) NOT breast fed even for a day .. he just would not take it (probably OCD from day one! - joking!) and he was on infant formula

3) lots of inhaled steroids due to his asthma as a toddler.

4) lots of ventolin which generally makes kids hyper for asthma

AND LAST BUT NOT THE LEAST

5) BAD LUCK

anyone else has any of the above reasons. any of your kids were on formula milk from day one???

Now, his asthma is much under control and after the NO TV, no dairy , no chocolates move his tics are much better.

Heather, you mentioned you don't give milk to your son. chocolates do have a lot of milk, right?? I don't give chocolates to my son since in his case I see a direct link between chocolates, sugar and his tics.. his tics are a lot related to his food sensitivities. Neither do I give him peanuts. He is allergic to peanuts. and no dairy too.

Jean, you are right , even my son's asthma gets triggered by chocolates.

Claire, have a great holiday.

Guest Guest_efgh

Jean, interesting link between C section kids and tics...

Have any one heard of the link between prematured kids and tics .. wanted to know for curiousity sake..

Guest Guest_efgh

I have noticed that my son needs a pitch dark environment to go to sleep. Even if there is a slightest light , he cannot get his sleep. Is it common amongst your kids?? Any suggestions on this other than trying out dark coloured curtains in the bedroom to prevent any light from outside coming in..

thanks and would appreciate your inputs or suggestions on this.

hi efgh

interestingly, the natural melatonin that our pineal glands produce is ONLY secreted correctly in total darkness. As soon as there is light, even if we are asleep, the release of melatonin stops and this can sometimes cause us to wake up and then struggle to get back to sleep.

My son however likes to have a blue nightlight on....I use mini blue Christmas lightbulbs in a heavily shaded nightlight so that it gives only a very soft blue glow....dont ask me why, but this is a "must" for my son....for him, if the room is totally dark, he just cant sleep ;)

Guest Guest_efgh

Chemar

thanks for your interesting inputs reg. melatonin being secreted in absolute darkness. Is it a part of TS that he gets into his sleep mode ONLY if its absolutely dark??

thanks.

I think the darkness is something that is "programmed" into our systems for sleep....so I am not too sure whether your son,s need is anything specific to the TS or if his sleep requirements within his body are such that he is sensitive to light.....which would be "normal" based on the pineal/melatonin set up.

I do know that, from the anecdotal evidence, it seems as if it is a generalised trait that people with TS do struggle to get to sleep and then to maintain deep sleep.