ACN Latitudes Forums

What code to use for autoimmune encephalitis

Hello again,

I can't tell you how much I appreciate your replies to my earlier post. Because of you all, we are so close to getting the IVIG scheduled for tomorrow. In fact, it is scheduled right now. There is one last aspect that I would like to see if I can work on prior to it and that is insurance. Our ped talked with the hospital that is going to administer it and it will be $10k. I know this is not news to any of you. But for those of you who have used the autoimmune encephalitis diagnosis, do you know what the code is? Our ped is also looking for it, but she also has her job to do so I thought I would see if anyone here might know this code.

Thank you so much for all your help. You are a great group of parents!

Guest asaxon
Hello again,

I can't tell you how much I appreciate your replies to my earlier post. Because of you all, we are so close to getting the IVIG scheduled for tomorrow. In fact, it is scheduled right now. There is one last aspect that I would like to see if I can work on prior to it and that is insurance. Our ped talked with the hospital that is going to administer it and it will be $10k. I know this is not news to any of you. But for those of you who have used the autoimmune encephalitis diagnosis, do you know what the code is? Our ped is also looking for it, but she also has her job to do so I thought I would see if anyone here might know this code.

Thank you so much for all your help. You are a great group of parents!

I know nothing about medical billing, but I found this online list of codes--http://www.cms.hhs.gov/ICD9ProviderDiagnosticCodes/

"279.4 Autoimmune disease, not elsewhere classified / Autoimmune disease NOS / Excludes: transplant failure or rejection"

Under "HEREDITARY AND DEGENERATIVE DISEASES OF THE CENTRAL NERVOUS SYSTEM (330-337)": 333 Other extrapyramidal disease and abnormal movement disorders / Includes: other forms of extrapyramidal, basal ganglia, or striatopallidal disease"

Incidentally, I stumbled across this Aetna policy document that explicitly excludes IVIG coverage for PANDAS: http://www.aetna.com/cpb/medical/data/200_299/0206.html

Thanks so much everyone for your responses and PMs. Our Ped tried the ins co last night but they were closed. She will be calling them again any time this morning and is likely going to be using 279.9 or 279.4. That is what she said last night when I last spoke with her.

I will update this post with what she actually decided on and the results.

She is taking the orders to our hospital this morning at 9 am and we are taking our daughter at noon. We will stay overnight and hopefully come home tomorrow. I am scared to death but incredibly hopeful.

Again, thank you so much for your help! You all are the ones who helped make this happen for us!

We have had 3 rounds of IVIG done with Dr. K in Chicago. When we were working to get pre-approval from our insurance co, Dr. K's secretary provided diagnosis and procedure codes. The diagnosis code Dr. K uses for these PANDAS cases is 279.30. I've been told since that this indicates some kind of generalized immune deficiency?

Anyway, our insurance (BCBS) did approve the IVIG for this diagnosis code, so it seemed to work. (Of course, the Oakbrook Surgical Center in Chicago was "non-participating," so we had to pay up-front, and it still took us 8 months to get any reimbursement... argh!).

Good luck!!!

• 2 weeks later...

I think our dr. used:

279.9 -- Unspecified disorder of immune mechanism and

348.30 -- Encephalopathy unspecified

but not positive -- haven't seen bill yet.

Hello everyone,

Below are the codes that our ped used:

IVIG 90283

Infusion 96365

I believe these are the hospital codes.

THe CD#9 codes - which I believe are insurance codes were 279.4 and 323.41

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

I bumped up this thread because I was curious if the people who replied with diagnosis codes had to have their IVIG pre-authorized. And if the IVIG had to be pre-authorized, what was the insurance company looking for to allow it. I believe my insurance company will not approve IVIG for any diagnosis code without reauthorization and I am trying to find out what that means. What lab work, etc. did the doctor have to submit for the diagnosis codes suggested in this thread to be "pre-authorized." Or did your insurance just allow the diagnosis code to go through without pre-authorization.