ACN Latitudes Forums

magnesium

dee45

Hi,

Anthony is having an increase in tics. way back when I tried different vitamins and supplements at that time I think things got worse I was trying everything at once out of desperation/ I would like to get him on Magnesium but don't know what kind , how much , what brand. any suggestions would be appreciated.

Deanna

Most people here give Peter Gillhams Kids Calm or Natural Calm products. Most health food stores and websites carry it. I just follow the dosage instructions on the container. I have not seen any benefit from magnesium for my son yet, but I do believe that epsom salts baths can be helpful not just for tics but for overall wellness and relaxation purposes.

Anthony is having an increase in tics. way back when I tried different vitamins and supplements at that time I think things got worse I was trying everything at once out of desperation/

Dee, that sounds so familiar!

FWIW....I found that the REMOVAL of allergans, etc was more successful in decreaseing tics than the ADDITION of nutritional supplements .

(let me also say we ate a pretty 'natural" diet before trying, though...e.g. whole grains, minimal sweets/processed/refined....so that might make a difference).

(also: disclaimer: that was only MY experience..others DO report success with other things)

ALSO:, nutritional supplements can take months to show results...as your body is using the supplements to build new cell walls/nerve sheaths, etc etc. So, ...while good to do...probably not as dramatic an improvement usually?---however, magnesium is used in nerve transmisison process, etc, so WOULD show results more immediately and it's important to have enough and most modern diets dont...have a higher calcium to mg ratio than it should.

whereas removal of offending substances can show up sooner...as they clear his system (and when re introduced...symptoms return pronto!....sigh....)

Have you heard of either APPLIED KINESIOLOGY (spell?)---muscle testing of energy meridians in your body? And/ or "Electro Dermal Screening"? (also tests energy meridians in your body?)

Either of those can help identify things that increase or decrease energy flow in body......THEN, you eliminate what it's shown as detrimental to energy flow, and add (supplements) what it shows is posiitive.

WHAT I DID:

Went to a chiropractor who was skilled in this (NOT ALL ARE!! !! !!)

He had me keep a log of everything my son ate for a week....

THEN....

anything he ate more than two or three times....bring a sample with me.....and he tested him for it (put on son's tongue...and tested his muscle strength)

YOU CAN ACTUALLY DO THIS YOURSELF, too ! Google around....there's probably instructions of it on the internet these days!

THEN, we eliminated what that test showed as not being good......the more we identified and eliminated, ...he did get better.......and then, hah....the litmus test....re introduce them....(not the FIRST time you eat it....but the SECOND time that day.....BINGO!....it will trigger whatever symptom it is causing....and trigger it big time)

There are alot of books on food allergies that will tell you about this.....

SIGH>>>>

SKIN and BLOOD tests for food allergies generally DONT show these things.....

case in point, my youngest son (no TS involved)....at age 18 developed hives all the time..........blood and skin test said corn was "fine".......hah...did the allergy elimintation diet.....hives gone....added back in corn....bingo! itching, swelling hives.......

sigh.....

But, back to your initial post....yes, magnesium would be a good one to start with.

Hi,

Anthony is having an increase in tics. way back when I tried different vitamins and supplements at that time I think things got worse I was trying everything at once out of desperation/ I would like to get him on Magnesium but don't know what kind , how much , what brand. any suggestions would be appreciated.

Deanna

Hi Deanna

we have used many kinds of magnesium over the years but the Natural Calm really is the fastest acting that we have found!

dont forget those epsom salts baths too!

hope things calm down soon

Thanks Cheri.

things have settled down over the last few days, I just wish the waxing and waning would end, as you know some days for us is more frustrating and upsetting than othets, I guess things were going so well you start to wonder what did I do differently and you just can't figure it out. Thanks for all your support and insight you give, it is really appreciated. Have a good day.

Deanna

Thanks Cheri.

things have settled down over the last few days, I just wish the waxing and waning would end, as you know some days for us is more frustrating and upsetting than othets, I guess things were going so well you start to wonder what did I do differently and you just can't figure it out. Thanks for all your support and insight you give, it is really appreciated. Have a good day.

Deanna

Yes, I think we can all relate! At least I can right now b/c we're waning over here and I'm trying to figure out what is going on. Sometimes it's not something YOU did or didn't do. I know that ds has a tooth pushing through and I have determined that toothy things make him tic more! I also know that environmental stuff will set him off but I just don't know the exact trigger but my guess is mold and/or dust mites. I'm relatively certain that allergies play a part here but I, of course, cannot control pollen the trees myself so I get frustrated trying to figure it all out! (((Deanna))) just know you're not alone!

Bonnie

Thanks Bonnie,'

just read your posts. things were pretty quiet over the last couple days and this morning ticcing away. Just don't get it>

Deanna

• 2 weeks later...
Thanks Bonnie,'

just read your posts. things were pretty quiet over the last couple days and this morning ticcing away. Just don't get it>

Deanna

Hi Deanna, just registered to site to see if I could gain help for my son's Tic's. Read your post about Mag. Calm is very good and does work for my son, but we have recently gone to a liquid mag found at our health store called LifeTime Vitamins - Liquid Magnesium Blend Orange Vanilla. I think it works better than Calm does. Its a bit chalky, but I usually mix it with 1/4 cup of orange sherbert and he drinks it right down. Hope this helps.

jb

Dee, do just be aware that the Life Time is a calcium-magnesium-vitD blend rather than just magnesium (the blend isnt a bad thing....for some a good thing....just for those who dont want to supplement extra calcium with the magnesium, one needs to be aware that it has both

also has fructose

Yeah, don't get Magnesium + Calcium, get Magnesium only. Many people with tics will get worse from Calcium.

Also there's a big difference between different kinds of Magnesium; -oxide, citrate, glyconate, aspartate etc. Oxide is the worst because of poor bio-availability while the other ones are better.

Magnesium has helped me but the same time it kind of dulls me off emotionally, which is annoying.