ACN Latitudes Forums

Allergy Medication

Suzan

So learning the types of symptoms zyrtec can cause, I thought I'd post a question to you all to find out what allergy medication you use. My dd's are on zyrtec and flonase. I take Allegra and nasonex. We are an allergic family! What are the best allergy meds for PANDAS kids?

Thanks!

Susan

have any of you persued natural treatments for allergies? There is a product called D-Hist Jr. that is a natural remedy that contains quercetin I think. (you could google it) a couple of peeps on the other side of the board have used it and were satisfied. we don't deal with allergies here, so can't attest to it, altho I have tried it for a time to see if it had any bearing on my son's tics in case some environmental allergy was the culprit for my son. Some have also talked of local honey, and even apple cider vinegar. again, I can't attest to any of it, but you could search around and see if this is something you'd want to look into.

Faith

So learning the types of symptoms zyrtec can cause, I thought I'd post a question to you all to find out what allergy medication you use. My dd's are on zyrtec and flonase. I take Allegra and nasonex. We are an allergic family! What are the best allergy meds for PANDAS kids?

Thanks!

Susan

When my son was on zyrtec and singulair, he was an animal, and not the cute and fuzzy kind!

Also, as soon as we started seeing a DAN doctor my son's allergies/asthma/croup disappeared. I'm not 100% sure what did it but I suspect it is because we went gluten and casein free (assuming the casein was the most importatnt part in terms of allergies) and also some immune-boosting supplements. You can see the list of the supplements on my blog: http://thelight-stephanie.blogspot.com

Stephanie

I asked my doctor (Neuro Psych) last week what my son can use and she said his Nasonex and Zyrtec are fine, but DONT use the Singular. I guess there has been a correlation with Panda symptoms increasing with Singular (I threw a 3 month supply away).

It's frustrating b/c his eye tics have gotten really bad the last two weeks, and I have to believe it's his seasonal allergies kicking in...

Claritin made Pixie's eye tics worse. What I thought were allergy symptoms (the constant blinking and eye-rolling were tics, not itchy eyes, and the throat-clearning and cough and sniffing were tics, not sinus drainage.)

We use Benadryl at night if we have to, but otherwise don't do anything at this pt.

I use a Neti-pot for myself and take a Nelson's natural allergy remedy.

Alex is also on zyrtec...no issues...but I am noticing it is not really helping during spring and fall and he still has a bad flare up...I notice some of you use it with Flonase...I am going to ask the ped about this today...as his strep is seeming to occur during allergy flare ups...maybe if we can stop the flare ups...

*** Now...the neurologist said not to use decongesants like Dimetapp or any med with the "D" in it...like claritin-D....which contain pseudophedrine...he said for some reason it increases tic activity ...