ACN Latitudes Forums

Ibuprofen

Granted, I have not been very faithful but the few times I've given it, I have not noticed any significant decrease in the tics.

We didn't see any impact our our daughter's tics, but did see improvement to some of the OCD symptoms. We're still not sure why it had effect but we did notice that she often fell asleep within 30 min of taking it when she was in the worst of her exacerbations.

Buster

This is the thing about Ibuprofen...it works for some, not for all, even when the child is definitely PANDAS. My son never had tics, but bad OCD. When he was in the middle of a very bad exacerbation, the Ibuprofen did not work. However, when he has flare ups as a result of viruses, it helps tremendously. Like some have said, even with IVIG it seems like tics are the most stubborn symptoms to go. So it does, in a round about way, make sense why they would be stubborn with IB too.

When Ibuprofen works at ridding of PANDAS-like symptoms, I think it is a good indicator of PANDAS. When it doesn't work, it doesn't rule out PANDAS. Does that make sense?

Granted, I have not been very faithful but the few times I've given it, I have not noticed any significant decrease in the tics.

This is how it has worked for my dd.

Primary symptom OCD. SEcondary is tics that show up most often during ocd difficulties. It lessened the OCD a LOT, therefore the tics were also fewer. However, during an exacerbation of ALL symptoms during the yeast infection, it did not bring the level of relief it had before. I did not stop it however to see how bad it could get.

Angela

Tattoomom...

I have heard that things like video games and computers can make kids tic more. It sounds like Ibuprofen won't work right now for your son. Like I said, it doesn't rule out PANDAS. I know of others who have said their PANDAS children did not have an easing of symptoms from Ibuprofen.

zazuk2010...

As for a dosing, my son is about 44 pounds and can take 200mg (per a doctor telling me). As for how often, it varies. Sometimes, I have to give it every 6 hours. Sometimes one dose in the morning is good for the day. I wouldn't do 200mg every 6 hours long term. Try one dose first and see at what time it starts to wear off and from that you will see what your child needs at this time. If he takes liquid meds still, I use dye free Motrin.

Is he allergic only to Ibuprofen (Motrin) or all NSAID's? Aleve is an NSAID but not an Ibuprofen. Those who have tried that say that Ibuprofen works a lot better, but if he can take a naproxen sodium NSAID, it's something to look in to.

But ASK YOUR DOCTOR FIRST. You don't want an allergic reaction in combination with PANDAS.

Wow...I haven't heard of an allergy to Ibuprofen b-4. I would definitely check with an allergist. The doc from this link http://www.medhelp.org/posts/Asthma/Reacti...fen/show/365138 said that if you are allergic to Ibuprofen, you might also be allergic to others (even aspirin) NSAIDS. So, I'd definitely check with a doc b-4 giving any kind of NSAID.

What did you allergic child do when he got Ibuprofen? Do you think it could be an allergy to the dyes (vs. the actual drug)?

We are doing IVIG in January and my son is on steroids until then. I have noticed now that he is much better in the am right after steroids and ibuprofen and now give it around 5-6 o'clock when he starts to get really angry. In 20-30 minutes he is MUCH better. It definitely works for us.

We are doing IVIG in January and my son is on steroids until then. I have noticed now that he is much better in the am right after steroids and ibuprofen and now give it around 5-6 o'clock when he starts to get really angry. In 20-30 minutes he is MUCH better. It definitely works for us.

Wait! I thought you weren't supposed to do NSAIDS if your child was on steroids (stomach/gi problems).

I thought that too but our ped gave the go ahead as our dd was experiencing headaches on the steroids.. but she only did the 5 day burst.. perhaps longer bursts would be more of an issue with nsaids.. I still didn't give it at the same time tho, just to be safe :-)

I don't think it's a drug interaction, I think it may take a toll on the tummy? So, maybe some docs will okay it for very short term. Can you drink milk with it? if so, would that coat the stomach and help any harshness the combo would have?

I know it's cited on the insert the pharmacy gives you not to give both.