ACN Latitudes Forums

Augmentin is doing his job, but...

first of all , I'm sorry for my English, I'm from Italy.

My daughter is 17, she has autism, but she improved a lot expecially in the last 3 years, doing a great job at school and reaching very positive levels of autonomy ( she is following the same schedule of her class mates).

I'm sure she had the first manifestation of PANDAS at age 9, when she suddenly developed a list of OCDs that destroyed her life.

but nobody knew PANDAS, and as she has autism, everyone said to me that was autism the cause

then she started improving with biomed approaches, and we never saw OCDs again

last year all her schoolfriends catched flu, and she too , BUT without symptoms, without fever, just a little bit cold....and she had a dark earwak, nearly black

and she started again , suddenly, violently with OCDs

we've never use drugs, we tryed again with biomed approaches, but nothing happened.

she's taking Augmentin since 4 days: her OCDs are improving, but she has rashes / hives / itch, and herpes too.....

do I have to stop Augmentin? , do I have to change antibyiotic ?

help me please

thank you all

Unfortunately, Marilina, I don't have any experience with a similar reaction to Augmentin. It sounds as though there could be some allergy to it on your daughter's part. Can you absolutely separate any other changes in her life (soaps, laundry detergents, other supplements, other medicines) from the introduction of the Augmentin to know that the Augmentin is the only possible cause of the rash/hives/etc.?

My 12-year-old son has been on Augmentin for the last several months, and we've seen no similar reactions.

I think you probably need to return to your doctor and see if he/she would agree that the Augmentin is behind those symptoms. If so, you could try a different antibiotic; many here on the forum have had success with Azithromycin and/or Keflex, for instance.

My son got head to toe hives with Augmentin. He handles Azithromycin really well though so I would ask to switch antibiotics. You could also give the Augmentin with an antihistamine like Benadryl. It will probably make her sleepy but will make her itch less. Just be aware even if you change antibiotics it can take days if not weeks for the hives to go away even if it is the Augmentin causing it.

My son got head to toe hives with Augmentin. He handles Azithromycin really well though so I would ask to switch antibiotics. You could also give the Augmentin with an antihistamine like Benadryl. It will probably make her sleepy but will make her itch less. Just be aware even if you change antibiotics it can take days if not weeks for the hives to go away even if it is the Augmentin causing it.

thank you all

in fact I think it is the first time she's assuming antibyiotic.....because in the past she always spitted it....and for the last 7 years she never get sick

probably she has an allergy for something inside Augmentin

I'll try with azithromycin. is it possible that it does work even with low dose? I ask you because with Augmentin pediatric form I see she's improving with her OCDs, maybe I do not have to give her so much....

for MomWithOCDson: yes, I'm totally sure this reaction is related to Augmentin

any of you have had experience with black earwak related to Strep? :blink:

Yes, if you have mono (EBV) and take Amox, you can get hives. This happened to me when I was a kid and took Amox for an ear infection while I had mono. Could she have mononucleosis right now?

My daughter, years ago, was on daily Augmentin for about 4 or so months, at which time one day she developed hives and we stopped giving it to her. Zithromax (Azithromycin) should not cause this to happen. Can you switch her to Zithromax?

Colleen

Welcome.

Do you know if she has a mold allergy?

This is probably totally unrelated, but my PANDAS son and non-PANDAS daughter get hives when they have certain viruses. I was told it's a way their body tries to rid themself of it.

thank you all

yes, she has mold allergy....

I read too that Augmentin with presence of EBV or mononucleosis may cause rash, I have to check

I think I can do an attempt using Zitromax....

It depends on the strain of mold they are allergicto. A regular allergy skin test tests for about 5 strains, I believe. (it has been awhile) My son is allergic to mold, (asperigullis), but, not to the mold used to make penicillin..(penicillinase) (spelling could be way off lol) He takes Penicillin , no problem.. Do you know what strain of mold she is allergic, too?

It depends on the strain of mold they are allergicto. A regular allergy skin test tests for about 5 strains, I believe. (it has been awhile) My son is allergic to mold, (asperigullis), but, not to the mold used to make penicillin..(penicillinase) (spelling could be way off lol) He takes Penicillin , no problem.. Do you know what strain of mold she is allergic, too?

I have to control, thanks

what I remember is that she has a long list of allergies to inhalants, so molds, powders, chemicals etc.......