ACN Latitudes Forums

Probiotics

sf_mom

Thanks, Wendy. Thus far, I've only taken in the title and glanced at the meat of the article, but I'm looking forward to reading it thoroughly at my first opportunity later today.

Wouldn't it be great if some of these probiotics we're giving the kids to quell gut issues actually bring even more to the table?!?!

As some of you may know, we are currently doing high dose probiotics under the guidance of a nutritionist and thought I'd post this very interesting article that was forwarded to me by a parent on this forum.

http://markbrudnak.com/Articles/probiotics...immune_anti.htm

-Wendy

Super interesting! Thanks!

I had not invested much into the probiotic aspect until most recently...... But, after speaking with a immunologist at Stanford Children's Hospital who is studying T and B Cells with regard to auto-immune, he commented there is some research being done through Stanford that is looking very promising with regards to probiotics/auto-immune. He also said some day, specific strains might even be recommended for certain types of illnesses/disease. The nutritionist we are consulting suffered from an auto-immune disease for 10 years and has been perfectly healthy for 16 years. Our son is on a very high dose, so I am glad we have her guidance, as well as testing PH balances to determine progress. We think its helping but we've also been very aggressive with our other treatment strategies and will be updating as we move forward.

-Wendy

Can someone explain the reason you use different strains? Do certain 'types' provide different results?

I use Nature's Way Primadophilous Kids w/ Lactobacilli and Bifdobacteria that is tablets and kept cold. And will also use Florastor Kids that is in a packet mixed with juice that has Saccharomyces boulardii. Then I add yogurts w/ probiotics in the lunch boxes.

I have no rhyme or reason I use these 'types' but to mix things up and provide a variety.

Hopefully they work together?

Are there any 'rules' we should know when giving these items?

Thanks always for everyones knowledge!

Shannon

Like PANDAS there are no set rules 'yet' and the strain related probiotic is only being 'studied'. However, you'll see in the article I provided Bifidobacterium and Lactobacillus (inclusive of many strains) are very good. Most over-counter, available at Whole Foods, etc. are 1 to 5 billion units per dose/pill. We are giving our son much, much more than that but again under the direction of somebody that knows a lot about probiotics. We purchase the six strain combo at Custom Probiotics http://www.customprobiotics.com/custom-pro...ix-cultures.htm for our family.

I had not invested much into the probiotic aspect until most recently...... But, after speaking with a immunologist at Stanford Children's Hospital who is studying T and B Cells with regard to auto-immune, he commented there is some research being done through Stanford that is looking very promising with regards to probiotics/auto-immune. He also said some day, specific strains might even be recommended for certain types of illnesses/disease. The nutritionist we are consulting suffered from an auto-immune disease for 10 years and has been perfectly healthy for 16 years. Our son is on a very high dose, so I am glad we have her guidance, as well as testing PH balances to determine progress. We think its helping but we've also been very aggressive with our other treatment strategies and will be updating as we move forward.

-Wendy

I heard Kale balances your ph really well...i 've been chopping it up an putting it in burgers as oppost to parsley and i just put 2 leaves in a pot of soup

i think the red/purple is bitter,,,i use green

A really good way to get kids (or me) to eat curly kale is to devein it, wash it, dress lightly with olive oil and sea salt and bake in a med oven for about 15 mins. I hate green stuff, makes me want to vom.. gotta really struggle to get green stuff down but this is great.

We mix up probiotics, also, and go through several cups of yogurt daily, as well. We use FloraStor, Culturelle, Sach B and an "Acidolpholus & Probiotic Complex" by Trader Joe's. Does bring up a question, though.

The Trader Joe's mix contains the following:

- Lactobacillus acidophilus

- Lactobacillus helveticus

- Bifdobacterium bifdum

AND

- Streptococcus thermophilus

Should I be concerned about the "strepto" ingredient? I'm feeling pretty stupid that I didn't catch this before :( , but I'm wondering if there's anything significant here. I'm going right now to look it up, but if anyone knows anything in particular about it, I'd appreciate the feedback!

SFmom,

That is quite the probiotic. I have heard from more than one, who are working with DAN Dr.s that the standard probiotics are WAY low in dosage.

Did you see any negatives?

Did you start low and increase slowly?

Thanks for sharing the info on that product.

We have not seen any negatives and only positives. We did start at 400 billion per day worked up to 800 billion per day. Our twins are currently taking about 600 Billion. My husband and I are also following the program I'm up to 1.5 billion without any side effects.

Warning.... Poop Post: All our son's stomach complaints have gone away. His stools have gotten bigger, firmer, brown and more frequent. Before, at his sickest, his stool was milky, soft and yellowish all the time and we had daily complaints of stomach issues. He is also taking the Bentonite Clay to firm things up and help with detoxing the acids from his gut.

It might take a year to correct gut flora but we are willing to be patient and fix the flora. Once its repaired, all probiotics are stopped.

-Wendy

Very interesting. Dr T is starting my daughter today on Antibiotics and steroids, he recommended getting Florastor, which maintains the balance of the intestinal flora.

It was my impression that Florastor was designed for children and much weaker then the typical probiotic.

just fyi

Hi - my understanding is that florastor is not good bacteria but good yeast (saccharomyces boulardii). You can get a kids florastor but the florastor in capsules is designed for use by anyone (I think).

We use it in addition to the usual probiotics. We have had no problems, so far, by combining florastor and Pharmax HCL probiotics. The pharmax probiotics are acidophilus and bifidus (human strain) 24-36 bn per teaspoon. With fructooligosaccharides and freeze dreid apricot so it tastes good (my picky kids eat it off a spoon) and it has no dairy, gluten etc.

I've had a couple drs and a highly knowledgeable pharmacist tell me how important the florastor is 'cos the abx won't kill it (it's yeast not bacteria) and it competes with the candida.