ACN Latitudes Forums

Vitamins and Probiotics

Dr. Latimer suggested the Pearl which we use.

Deanna

Hello Everyone,

Just curious if anyone has suggestions on what type of Vitamins and Probiotics? How much..Ugh, way too many to choose from.

Thanks!

Ginger

We use Kirkman's Spectrum Complete for our vitamin and I look for probiotics with Lactobacillus acidophilus and the highest per billion I can find for a good price. I also really like Threelac.

Susan

Our DS13 takes a slew . . . we give probiotics throughout the day and split his supplements/vitamins between breakfast and dinner.

In terms of probiotics, keep in mind that most abx kill acidolpholus, while lactobillus and sach b. are more resilient. Since yogurt, kefir and the less expensive probiotics contains mostly or exclusively acidolpholus, these are only really beneficial if given 2-3 before or after abx. Brands like Culturelle and Flora-Stor are lactobillus and/or sach b, and sach b. can be purchased individually as well.

Supplement-wise, this forum has been a great resource for experiences with various vitamins, herbs, etc. You can thumb through the threads and find a lot of information. Our DS currently takes the following in addition to abx and probiotics: vitamin D3, vitamin B complex, inositol, quercitin, tumeric, magnesium and NAC. Then melatonin at bedtime!

A nutritionist recommended Kirkman Everyday Multivitamins http://www.kirkmanlabs.com/ViewProductDeta...uct_ID@140.aspx (my son can swallow pills) and he takes 2 a day. She also recommended Culturelle, Jarrowdophilous and...something else that I don't recall (didn't buy it because it had the strep strain in it) for probiotics. She said it's a good idea to keep a few on hand (in the fridge) and take a couple everyday, mixing them up a bit so you aren't always taking the same thing every day. I also give my son 2000 iu of vitamin D3 (Carlson brand. Carlson also makes a fabulous D3 drop which I give to my 3 year old) and fish oil (have used Coromega and Barlean's in the past).

For a multi-vitamin, we give our son Nutrivitamin Enzyme Complex without iron by Integrative Therapeutics. We give him Florastor and Lacto Tri-Blend as probiotics. Also give him 2,000 IU's a day of D3. Here's a thread on vitamin D, if you're interested: http://www.latitudes.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=6311

Ginger-

Hi. First, I'm sorry I haven't touched base with you like I said I would. It has been very topsy-turvy for us. We were suppose to go to Chicago for our second IVIG and had to postpone. We also had to pull our son out of school. Both are stories each their own. I haven't forgotten about you!

FLORASTOR by all means. It works differently than the "good bacteria". It is a good yeast and prevents the bad yeast from taking over. It helps maintain good gut health. Dr. K even recommended it. I have had it recommended to me by counselors. Google to learn more. Can be taken at the same time as an abx. Buy on line for much better deals. Frankly, I have yet to find it in DM area, but I am certain it would be full retail. Campbell's Nutrition stores in the area have a very good line up of other probiotics. I'd looked for one with a variety of strains and a few billion--depending on your child's age.

Hope this helps. -Dawn