ACN Latitudes Forums

How does a child "become" PANDAS?

Is PANDAS a result of undiagnosed/untreated/repeated strep infections plus a combination of the right genetic make up? Or is it just the strain? What exactly needs to happen? Can we prevent it in any way?

I am just wondering is there anything I can do to keep my other children from getting there... We seem to be getting strep a whole lot this year, and I worry I'll start seeing symptoms on the others... DD9 was very emotional (crying over everything) yesterday... really out of control emotional/can't-help-myself kind of thing.

At least I know when they have strep, thanks to our little canary.

Has anyone tried homeopathics for the rest of the family?

Just stressing out...

Isabel

Just my own little theory:

I think that it is not uncommon for kids to get neurological "disruption" with strep (doctors got that "transient tics of childhood" idea from somewhere.) I think normally the immune system puts a halt to it and destroys the errant antibodies and prevents them from taking hold again. PANDAS kids' immune systems are not handling it properly- so they get it stronger, longer and unchecked. But, I don't know what goes wrong with the immune system that makes it not deal appropriately.

I think school nurses should be allowed to do RSTs, just like they do lice checks. If there is a strep outbreak in a classroom, test all kids and staff from that, and sibling classrooms. Any positives should not be allowed to return to school until cleared by a physician. Maybe that's overkill, but I see so many going to great lengths to protect from exposure at home and then it gets picked up at school and the kids bring it home to share with the family. Its a never ending cycle.

My theory...

Some kids is part genetic, some kids part strain, and there's environmental factors added to the mix too.

For my PANDAS child, his first PANDAS excaerbation was his first known strep infection. He had been swabbed previous times when he had croup, general illness,and it came up negative. So, Ithink for him it was his first strep infection.

My other kids, their first strep infection was at the same time as my PANDAS son 3rd strep infection. I had ruled strep out in family members every time. Neither of them show signs of PANDAS. Ages at time of strep infection was 8 and 2. Found out they had strep when I was just ruling it out. All 3 of my children do not get symtpoms of strep. My older son went on to have Mycoplamsa just short of a year after his first known strep infection.No PANDAS or PITAND present then either. It looks like they are in the clear of PANDAS and I pray it remains that way.

Just my own little theory:

I think that it is not uncommon for kids to get neurological "disruption" with strep (doctors got that "transient tics of childhood" idea from somewhere.) I think normally the immune system puts a halt to it and destroys the errant antibodies and prevents them from taking hold again. PANDAS kids' immune systems are not handling it properly- so they get it stronger, longer and unchecked. But, I don't know what goes wrong with the immune system that makes it not deal appropriately.

I think school nurses should be allowed to do RSTs, just like they do lice checks. If there is a strep outbreak in a classroom, test all kids and staff from that, and sibling classrooms. Any positives should not be allowed to return to school until cleared by a physician. Maybe that's overkill, but I see so many going to great lengths to protect from exposure at home and then it gets picked up at school and the kids bring it home to share with the family. Its a never ending cycle.

We are homeschooling, so I'm the school nurse! Well, I'm not a nurse, but can definitely rule out school in the "classroom" :)

But then there's the world out there... And we are out and about a lot.

If only I had know about four years ago about this darn PANDAS thing, I would have caught it a lot earlier...

I still just cannot get over our old pediatrician totally missing it. He was an older gentleman and I had such respect for him. I am not saying he should have known about PANDAS, but at least have connected the tics and joint swelling to strep. Sigh.

I personally do not believe there is a genetic component but more the age or state of immune system when exposed. The younger the child the less cross immunity and therefore are more likely to develop PANDAS if exposed at a young age.

As for protecting your other children there are plenty of things you could be doing to ensure they are protected. I recommend EVERY child take probiotics (good bacterial growth to kill bad), bentonite clay (absorbs bad toxin's and eliminates them) and Colloidal Silver... http://colloidalsilver.com/

Edited by SF Mom